Another meat question? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Another meat question?

I shot a buck the second to last day of rifle this year and when i got it home and started to skin it i found what i think is an abscess or cyst on the hind quarter. The strange part was it was not touching the meat, it was right under the skin and embedded in the fat. When pulling the hide down some of the fat pulled off exposing it. The fluid looked like the inside of an avocado. It was about 4 inches long on both hind quarters but it was not attached to the meat on either side it was just concentrated under the fat. Never seen anything like that before. Found no injuries or puncture wounds. I did inspect the whole deer. No foul smelling meat or and discoloration. I did cut a few inches around it and a few inches deep just in case. What are your thoughts. I kept that meat from the buck and doe i took separated just in case.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Sage

I could not eat that and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.
Pahack likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks i was on the fence about it since it was not on the meat itself.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I could not eat that and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.
Totally agree with WW. If you took some pics or saved anything possibly you many get some consideration for a replacement tag from the GC for late season?? Just a thought but likely too late.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 AM

That's a pus pocket, at some point the deer was injured and the pus hasn't assimilated & been eliminated from it's body yet, I often saw these when I was processing deer commercially, especially around their neck where they had been fighting. The meat is probably fine, but obviously ANYTHING that the pus leaked onto would go into the trash.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky View Post
That's a pus pocket, at some point the deer was injured and the pus hasn't assimilated & been eliminated from it's body yet, I often saw these when I was processing deer commercially, especially around their neck where they had been fighting. The meat is probably fine, but obviously ANYTHING that the pus leaked onto would go into the trash.

That puss pocket is actually a good sign....it means the deer's body isolated the injury/infection and its antibodies are(were) healing it. Cut around the thing and discard.....eat the rest of the good meat.
Uncle Nicky likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:58 AM

Most infections are not systemic and the meat is fine to eat if it smells ok. You can detect an odd odor, don't eat it. Throwing away a whole deer is a bit wasteful because of a few gashes from the rut around the head or neck but I can totally understand an old bullet hole wound that has black rotting flesh in a quarter of the deer being alarming and the deer may have lead throughout it's body. I found a rage broad head from a previous year in the neck of a buck once and still ate the neck roast. Although if you believe the hype I couldn't believe the deer could live a year after being hit by a rage.....

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

There was no black or green meat. Like i said the sac was concentrated between the hide and the fat. Just strange how it was not on or attached to the meat. No foul odor. Just smelled like a normal deer does. i did cut a few inches around it and a few inches deep just in case. I figured it was probably ok. If i found it inside of the hind quarter or something like that i would have thrown it out. Nothing leaked on the meat when i skinned it or cut around that area. I got so paranoid i inspected all the meat just looking for anything that looked or smelled odd but did not see or smell anything bad. I even smelled the puss sac i cut out and there was no smell which i thought was odd also.
JasonN likes this.

4B
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
There was no black or green meat. Like i said the sac was concentrated between the hide and the fat. Just strange how it was not on or attached to the meat. No foul odor. Just smelled like a normal deer does. i did cut a few inches around it and a few inches deep just in case. I figured it was probably ok. If i found it inside of the hind quarter or something like that i would have thrown it out. Nothing leaked on the meat when i skinned it or cut around that area. I got so paranoid i inspected all the meat just looking for anything that looked or smelled odd but did not see or smell anything bad. I even smelled the puss sac i cut out and there was no smell which i thought was odd also.

You're in good shape there. Drake's buck had a sac of puss on the point of his brisket....it was easy to work around and no surrounding damage of any meat. Meat smells fine and everything else is normal. I'm not even remotely concerned about it.
pchunter1231 likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I shot a 9 pt the 1st day of rifle, I took it to a friends house to skin and hang it, he has almost a complete butcher shop in his huge garage. Anyway, I left it hang for 3 days, was more than cold enough to let it hang. I usually can my deer meat so I started cuttin it up and I got to the last hind quarter, when I made my 1st cut a green like slime came out. I never saw anything like that in my life. I was ready to throw the whole deer away. I am good friends with a family that owns a local butcher shop so I sent him pics. He called me and said that was an old wound and it is not uncommon on deer, beef and pigs. It didn't stink and the rest of the deer was normal. He said it was up to me to keep the meat or not. I threw the hind quarter out and kept the rest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page