Keep Those Toes Warm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Lightbulb Keep Those Toes Warm

Friday and Saturday were very cold in the Pocono region. While I stand Friday morning a light lit in my cold brain. I was standing and looked at the Thermo seat (closed foam) on my 5gal bucket...........hmm why not? I place it on the cold ground and felt a warmth return to my cold feet. Who would have thunk'. It will warm your butt & will warm your feet too. Try it, you will be surprised when you separate your boots from the frozen ground.

Dense Foam Needle Felting Pad - 18" X 24" X 2"

Last edited by casey; 12-14-2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: unauthorized link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 04:28 PM

The other day while I was out I came across a spot where some had been sitting earlier in the week. This guy had cut a bunch of small branches off a hemlock and made a little mat out of them. I don't know if the purpose was warmth, or to keep the mud off.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 05:46 PM

back in the mid 60's my brother and i were deer hunting with our 80 something grandfather. i was in my early teens and we all took separate stands along a hollow. after a couple hours i got cold and walked up to check on grandpap. when i got to him he had put some small limbs over his legs and piled leaves on top of that. when i asked him why he did that all he said was, you must be cold as you are walking to get warm. he said he was nice and warm. the leaves kept the body heat under them kept him warm. i learned something that day. that was his last time deer hunting as he passed the next year at 88 years young.
bohunr, cubcadet, Pahack and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Probably the same as my feet on the cold metal of my ladder stand. Going to try a pad under my feet, thanks.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:51 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
The other day while I was out I came across a spot where some had been sitting earlier in the week. This guy had cut a bunch of small branches off a hemlock and made a little mat out of them. I don't know if the purpose was warmth, or to keep the mud off.
Might have been me because I do that. You would be surprised how much it helps keep your feet from getting cold.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Probably the same as my feet on the cold metal of my ladder stand. Going to try a pad under my feet, thanks.
Even a piece of cardboard or a scrap of carpet will make a lot of difference. You'll see.
325wsm and 35 whelen like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:04 PM

If you do not have a lot of money, put any money you do have towards excellent boots and wicking socks. It is absolutely worth it. It's one item to not scrimp on.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Banned

I going to try this. These seats are cheap and weigh nothing. Live and learn.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:39 AM

I have a couple old aluminum ladder stands cabela's sold years ago. The aluminum sucks the heat out of your feet quick on a cold day too. I put 3/4 plywood on top so you stand on it, not aluminum. I simply stand it up against the tree so the snow and ice don't build up on it between sits.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am mainly a tree stand hunter but the best way I have found to keep my feet warm is get a pair of Arctic Shield boot blankets. They are easy to pack and I add hand warmers to them when it gets really cold.
Matt J. and kenh6412 like this.

The older I get the better I was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page