Dec 8th - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By Woods walker
  • 2 Post By Bigbrownie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Dec 8th

I went out this morning with my BIL and my wife's cousin on the property we hunt that is partially owned by my wife's cousin to do a long slow quiet push to an elderly friend of my wife's cousin and his nephew's wife who were on stand. We started moving through a stand mixed hardwoods then a stand of large conifers and back into a very long expanse of mixed hardwoods. We saw deer ahead of us almost from the start. About half way through the push, I don't call it a drive because it is quiet and slow, just to get the deer moving but not running full tilt, we heard a shot we thought came from the area of the elderly hunter. When we reached the end of the drive we found the elderly hunter had shot at a nice buck we moved his way and the woman had gotten cold and was not in her stand when we arrived, something I won't comment on. We searched for blood and hair for a long time and searched the ground the buck and 12 doe that were with him had gone after the shot. Not one hair, not one drop of blood, all of us are experienced trackers so we were sure he missed his shot. It was beautiful day to be out trying to help others be successful, cold but not too cold. We were successful in moving deer towards the standers, they were not successful at putting one or two on the ground. That is hunting. I am done for the season, I had a great season I put a doe in the freezer in Oct andI saw a lot of deer, my group took several deer, including two great buck and some nice doe, and we left a bunch for seed, you can't asked for more than that. I hope some of you were successful today in putting some meat on the ground.
JasonN, loridr, BCozhunter and 1 others like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 05:29 PM

It was a great day to be in the woods. No wind, rain or snow. Hunted with my son, saw a lot of deer, including some decent bucks, killed 3 doe, saw 4 bear and a fisher. Canít ask for more than that.
BCozhunter and Woods walker like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

We hunted at Muddy run this morning. Wanted to take the centerfire rifles out. Place was mobbed. We went to an area that I've hunted before. Sat down, it gets light and I see a guy in a tree about 70 yards to my left. My son, who is off to my right sends me a text that he's got a guy about 50 yards directly in front of him. These guys must've been there before we got there. Why they didn't give us a wink with their flashlights in the dark to let us know they were there is beyond me. we packed up and went home.

In the afternoon we were back on the private land we hunt. I had my son sit off to my right instead of in his usual stand down off to my left. We've been seeing a guy up in a treestand just behind the houses that are down there. About 4:10 I spot two yearlings and a big momma doe off to my left angling toward me. I got the hammer back, set the trigger and waited. When I realized they would also pass by my son's stand, I held fire and let them go past me. Momma doe stops 40 yards broadside to me just off to my right. Very tempting shot, but I continued to hold fire so my son could get his chance. As he was only about 50 yards to my right on the same hill, I could see him aiming at this deer. He fires, and the deer take off. The one yearling runs right up to me and stops 30 feet away and just stands there. So I said to the deer "you better get outta here", to which it turns and runs down the hill. I won't shoot yearlings. did so one time and it was a pityful little thing when I got to it. So now yearlings walk. Anyway, it was great to see my son get a shot at a deer, even though he did not hit it. We searched for blood and hair, and found none. He told me his heart was pumping from the excitement, and that he thought he flinched when he fired (were both using our flintlocks). That was enough for me to justify not shooting. I'd rather see him get one. But it was not meant to be. Overall, it was a good season. We both got a shot at a doe, and we both saw many deer including a couple nice bucks. We'll be out again during flintlock season.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 12-08-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:09 PM
The Man

Had a wonderful season but still have a buck tag. I was on a mission this year to hunt as much and many hours I could. Some years snow hits and being a commercial plower I have to go home. Didn't happen this year always hope that it does not snow in deer season. I sat a record for my self this year time in the woods. Between both full weeks I only missed around 8 hours of being in the woods. Most of that was each week I had to go to town for hog feed since I have my hogs on my Pa. property. Some might say I cheated but I sat in my box stands with my buddy heater and enclosed from elements. During the second week I go 20 minutes away to a friends farm where I can long range hunt for doe. I don't care to take a buck from then since I own my own property but they would be fine with that. I took a nice doe at 375 yards wanted it to be farther but I wasn't going to chase them out farther. . Thursday and Friday I got out of my comfort stand and went on foot finding the bedding areas 100 yards from my stand and took a doe each of those days. Back in stand with in 45 minutes after leaving. I took a doe first week on Wed. I was able to discipline my self to sit in stand from 615 to 515 many days including second week. Deer was spotty but seen quite a few and I realized hunted wrong. Anyway it was a great time in the woods and I got my moneys worth. Now I have to go back out to shop and finish cutting up meat. Hope everyone else enjoyed this season as much as I did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page