Question on meat - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Question on meat

I have a question on the meat of the buck I shot last night. After I recovered him I noticed two things. His left front hoof was very swelled up and his one "toe" was barely hanging on. He was shot at some time this season in the front right knee and the meat in the open wound was black and dark brown.
When i gutted him i noticed the skin covering the guts seemed hard and it was pinkish in hue with red spots through out it.
When i skinned it last night the meat looked normal and there was no apparent smell. However the little fat he had on him was not white but an orange and pink color. Hanging next to my doe you could definitely notice a difference.
I am sure it's fine and I am worrying over nothing but just wanted to get some input from any others who ever noticed a discolorong of the deer fat.
He was walking fine when I shot him and actually came out around 430 to feed and was eating when I got him. He was definitely an older deer with a heavy dark high rack. (7pt with 3 other points under an inch)
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 07:06 PM
The Man

Go by the old adage son.When in doubt,throw it out.
Muzz likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 07:11 PM

i shot an 8 point last year that a big green pus sac between the layers of meat on its neck. it looked like slime. i called the PGC and they said to take it to a processor. if the processor says its bad, i was to call them back and get another tag. check with a processor !

but how many of them actually know what is good and what is bad, unless they are actually certified and process beef and hogs too.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've seen deer (healthy) with very light pinkish fat where they have been eating a lot of tea berries. Meat tasted great also. I don't think you have a thing in the world to worry about.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM

Is the fat layer very thin? A rutted out buck typically has the last layer of fat on him and it is not white, it is tinted as you say. This is called brown fat and is the last fat that is consumed by the body under stress, in this case the rigors of chasing does for the means of...well you know.

I would not throw it out unless it stinks. The localized leg injury should not affect the muscles of the entire body, does a cut on your finger make your leg hurt? It sounds normal to me.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the mixed replies. The layer of fat is extremely thin almost non existent. I got the wounded leg off right above the knee and it seems ok. Honestly if I had not seen the injury I would not be as concerned about the fat discoloration. But it got me thinking I have never noticed that color before. Again looking at the meat and smelling it I don't see a difference. I will let it hang for another few days and the cut into it.

I have seen buck after the rut with very little fat but this guy has almost none.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:43 AM

I used to process deer commercially. Without seeing the deer, I can't tell you, but unless it smells bad, is covered in pus, bloodshot, or scarred & black, it should be fine. I've seen deer fat that was white, yellow, and even orange colored, and bucks that had no fat whatsoever on their bodies after the rut.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 11:25 PM
The Man

I have seen that color in fat also and was fine. I only had to throw one away and was last day of muzzy so it didn't matter of calling PGC. One hind qtr. had gangrene, got mixed opinions of throwing away or cutting out. My inlaws was with us at that time and my father in law is the biggest tight azz and mileage out of everything I have seen. His comment was if you keep it every time you take a bite or would get a stomach ache afterwards one time its going to be in the back of your mind. I threw it away.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 12:35 PM
The Man

Good choice.Cause even though just 1 qtr.might have been visually infected,the infection is goin through the animals blood stream which is travelin to all parts of the body.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 PM
The Man

I could not believe the people that told me to just cut it out and even keep that hind qtr. Made me think twice of going to there house for dinner. What the sad outcome was in my area a bunch of kids was riding around in the bed of a truck shooting at deer with with 22's and 17's. I found this out later and could of swore this spot looked like it was previous shot like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page