So sick of what this state has become - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 385Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 314 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

So sick of what this state has become

I am 45 so I have seen both sides of the coin me being a young kid tagging along with my dad and then. Being able to hunt solo seeing 40-50 does all day then watching my dad harvest a spike or a fork horn. Cause you know what being 10-12 years old and holding those antlers it sure felt like the milo Hanson buck in my hands when I was so young. But also seeing all those deer gave me the desire and burn and passion to hunt hard.

Now today’s side of the coin much much less deer in the woods harder to keep kids involved in a sport when you seeing no deer and acorns rote on the ground in front of you cause their is no wildlife to eat it. So the majority of the does have been slaughtered dont get me wrong some slammer bucks being shot that you would think they came from the Midwest are being harvested and not congrats not great deer the FIRST QUESTIONS ASKED IS WHAT IT SCORE ??????????????????????????????????????

Before antler restrictive days a basket rack 8 would be a mounted deer today a guy gets death threats if he posts pics of bucks that are not 130 and higher. I understand changes had to be made just not a fan of the final product.

Shoot straight.

Last edited by hunterdan199; 12-05-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 314 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:11 AM

For many deer hunters they are happy with any buck, and seeing more deer, the more deer, it seems we have more hunters. This applies to most huntable game, pheasants being a good example, very few in Pa hunt wild pheasants here anymore, based on their numbers. As deer numbers went down, deer camps seem to be less occupied. On the other side some people are more interested in the rack size, like you state. Less deer will result in less hunters and less effort, such as drives. Seeing game even if you do not get it, sparks interest. I think that right now in PA we could have more big bucks if we had more deer, I believe what makes larger racks is a deers age, here in PA, to let bucks grow older they use antler restrictions. If we could get the herd to grow in size and had antler restrictions we should have more bucks with bigger racks. My own thoughts are I liked it back when we had no antler restrictions, and a lot of deer. Trophy deer were killed then too, and everybody has their own opinion of what a trophy is. As you said its hard for kids to go hunting and see no game, they loss interest quick. My guess is that as chronic wasting disease gets worse, you may see antler restrictions go away.
post #3 of 314 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What is missing in this conversation is the fact that deer numbers were way too high in most of the forested areas of the state, to the point of real harm to forest regeneration and even more importantly to understory plants. This is a fact.
Personally, I rather appreciate the fact there are more nicer bucks out there, and I'm not a trophy hunter. I take what I can get.
My personal take and with nothing to basis it on, but my own observations, is that deer numbers are much closer to what they were in the 50s and early 60s. The 70s, 80s and 90s were exceptional.
I think the reasons for fewer hunters goes way beyond seeing game and has much more to do with access and lifestyles, especially for kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 314 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

interesting take on this, Dan. Does the allure of shooting a larger buck outweigh the feeling of success on taking a smaller buck? For me, the decision on what buck I want to take is made almost entirely in the moment, unless of course I am targeting a specific deer.

There were times where I would have taken ANY legal buck, and I did, and after enough basket rack 7 or 8pts, that just doesn't do it for me any longer. I still see deer, I also still see pressure, its just not the same type of pressure it used to be. With a lot of private land being closed off that use to remain open to hunters, people just don't move deer anymore, and I am one of them.

I hunt archery every day that I can, so I get use to seeing the "natural" movement patterns of deer. Maybe see 4 or 5 deer a night. That is how I choose to hunt them. It is not natural to see 40-50 does in one spot. So, in reality, what you are seeing is natural deer behavior, that is just not being disturbed by being over-pressured.

"The majority of does have been slaughtered" may be true where you hunt, or you may think that it is true, but is not where everyone else hunts. It is important to know that just because what you are seeing may be true to you, it is not true to everyone because all habitat and all deer herds are not the same. My brother and I hunted the same property together during the last day of the 2017 Archery season. We were within 300 yards of each other, and he saw deer after deer after deer, and I saw none. You cannot assume that because you didn't see deer that there are none there... the only think you know for certain is that you didn't see any.

lol, death threats... c'mon

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #5 of 314 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:22 AM

What he said is spot on. ∆∆∆∆∆
post #6 of 314 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:32 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1969 View Post
What he said is spot on. ∆∆∆∆∆
What who said Frank? Which poster?

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #7 of 314 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:36 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddiesDad View Post
interesting take on this, Dan. Does the allure of shooting a larger buck outweigh the feeling of success on taking a smaller buck? For me, the decision on what buck I want to take is made almost entirely in the moment, unless of course I am targeting a specific deer.

There were times where I would have taken ANY legal buck, and I did, and after enough basket rack 7 or 8pts, that just doesn't do it for me any longer. I still see deer, I also still see pressure, its just not the same type of pressure it used to be. With a lot of private land being closed off that use to remain open to hunters, people just don't move deer anymore, and I am one of them.

I hunt archery every day that I can, so I get use to seeing the "natural" movement patterns of deer. Maybe see 4 or 5 deer a night. That is how I choose to hunt them. It is not natural to see 40-50 does in one spot. So, in reality, what you are seeing is natural deer behavior, that is just not being disturbed by being over-pressured.

"The majority of does have been slaughtered" may be true where you hunt, or you may think that it is true, but is not where everyone else hunts. It is important to know that just because what you are seeing may be true to you, it is not true to everyone because all habitat and all deer herds are not the same. My brother and I hunted the same property together during the last day of the 2017 Archery season. We were within 300 yards of each other, and he saw deer after deer after deer, and I saw none. You cannot assume that because you didn't see deer that there are none there... the only think you know for certain is that you didn't see any.

lol, death threats... c'mon
That,s true.Plus sign can,t be ignored.If the Deer are in the area the sign will be there.
post #8 of 314 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:40 AM

It is what you make it. I hunted public land and dealt with people messing up my hunt. I bought my own land, did my food plots and deal with a bad hunting camp on the one side. I saw 35 deer the first of archery. Been at camp since the 4th week of archery. Some days I see deer, some days I don't. I'm just happy to be outdoors, watching the wildlife. It's been 15 years since my last buck kill, but I still go. I think hunting is a dying sport. Used to be over a million hunters the first day of rifle. I heard it was 600,000 this year.
post #9 of 314 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:42 AM

my feelings on this subject is that since the start of antler restriction is that the only ones that have the advantage is the bow hunters. most of the bow hunters are usually in tree stands and have the time to check bucks for legal points. they also have a longer season to hunt. in rifle season, when deer are running around through trees and brush, its hard to count points and make sure the buck is legal. we also have a shorter hunting season then bow hunters. we here in Pa. have also seen a lot of ground leased and posted. finding places to hunt is becoming more difficult. game lands are getting more crowded as hunters have to turn to game lands to hunt. why not get rid of the antler restrictions and go back to the way it was. the game commission might find that more hunters may come back to the sport and license sales might increase. for those who want to hunt big bucks, let them pass on smaller bucks and wait for a trophy to come by. getting kids interested in hunting is falling to the wayside. keeping their interest in hunting is harder when they are not seeing game or getting a chance to do some shooting. my opinion is that Pa. has gone the way of the special interest groups and is making hunting a dieing sport.
post #10 of 314 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Banned

Less hunters will equal skyrocketing license costs at some point, since the GC will need to get its money from somewhere. And that somewhere will be from those hunters who are still in the game.. Some guys will say "great, I'll pay anything for the privilege to hunt". well get back to us when you're dropping $500 or more a year just to hunt Pa deer! Personally I'd rather things go back to the way they were, back when any buck was a trophy, and there were alot of guys hunting. Back then you had a good chance of deer being pushed your way, even on the last day of buck season. Nowdays its a rarity to hear a drive being conducted, and even rarer to have deer pushed around after the second or third day of the season. IMO antler restrictions have done nothing to help the herd.......
jimbridger, superd and MR. T like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page