2018 Deer Havest will Probably be Low - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

2018 Deer Havest will Probably be Low

I donít know if it was the same staewide but i hunted opening day and yesterday (Saturday) and didnít see a single deer either day. I know there are good numbers of deer around. I also heard less shots and there were a lot less hunters in the local gamelanda than in years past. I think the weather may have affected the deer movement and the number of hunters going out. I am expecting a low harvest number. Weíll see. Iíll be out on the last Saurday and maybe things will pick up.
Waynzee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:31 PM
The Man

No doubt there will be some jackwagon who comes on and says "No it will be a record harvest", but I think you are right. I've talked to a lot of people who all said this was the worst archery season they've ever had and didn't get deer. Lot's also saying almost no hunters in the woods and little shooting for rifle season. This is mostly is SW PA so I can't speak for the entire state. But if I were a betting man I would say yes the harvest will be down. Especially with all the crappy weather in archery season, the rifle opener and somewhat so Yesterday.
willyp, Retiredusne8 and Waynzee like this.
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
No doubt there will be some jackwagon who comes on and says "No it will be a record harvest", but I think you are right. I've talked to a lot of people who all said this was the worst archery season they've ever had and didn't get deer. Lot's also saying almost no hunters in the woods and little shooting for rifle season. This is mostly is SW PA so I can't speak for the entire state. But if I were a betting man I would say yes the harvest will be down. Especially with all the crappy weather in archery season, the rifle opener and somewhat so Yesterday.
I agree. Unless we have a beautiful day this Saturday with nice snow cover, I think for sure it will be down. Even if it is perfect it probably won't make up for the first day and Saturday This has to be one of the strangest years with the weather we have had.

I know Ohio which has the same opening day of gun as us and similar weather stated the reported harvest was down 40% on the opener. I think their total deer kill is down about 10% this year compared to the same time as last year.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:39 PM

Usually the following year after a year like this there is some really nice buck and the hunting is good with the larger deer population.
bohunr likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Sage

I hear a lot of shooting yesterday and I saw 9 doe, one unknown big deer running through the trees and a huge bodied spike buck with 2 inch spikes. Do to hesitating when 7 does were coming closer and not shooting because I thought I would get a closer shot, I lost my opportunity when they went back the way they came and thick brush blocked a clear shot and I don't shoot through brush. My butcher told me on Friday that they had less deer in theirs shop this year in the first 4 days of rifle season than they took in the first day last year, and this shop does big numbers of deer, they get them in from 3 counties. The rain stopped a lot of people from going out.
willyp, bohunr, bigguy54 and 1 others like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 12-02-2018 at 01:59 PM.
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:57 PM
The Man

...processor up here in Erie on opening Monday when i dropped my buck off said it was the slowest buck opening in a long, long, lonnng time. When i picked my meat up Thursday....gave me the same "update".
post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:13 PM

There was a lot of shooting near us yesterday. I only saw 2 deer and they were both small buck. My son however was only 100 yards from me and saw 4 bear and 9 deer by 11.
post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
No doubt there will be some jackwagon who comes on and says "No it will be a record harvest.......
Most likely The PGC, they've never wanted to admit to the reduction in the deer herd. I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread started on 2G results like there usually is.
fall gobbler likes this.
post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 03:21 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbhnger10 View Post
...processor up here in Erie on opening Monday when i dropped my buck off said it was the slowest buck opening in a long, long, lonnng time. When i picked my meat up Thursday....gave me the same "update".

The processer down the road from me says he is having a good year.
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 03:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

There will never be lots of deer with the 7 day doe season, I hunt northern 4c and the deer just are here in very low numbers compared to the 3 day doe season,
Try to mentor a youth when you take them out and see nothing, They are done hunting after 3 or 4 days. Will probably never try it again.
Its a shame.

Good luck, Stant
Zbow likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page