Managed Recoil Ammo vs Whitetail deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By T.R.
  • 2 Post By NittanyBearcat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Managed Recoil Ammo vs Whitetail deer

This mature doe was shot at a distance of approx 150 yards with my older Savage .308 rifle. One bullet through the chest organs did the job nicely for me. This is my first hunt with Remington's reduced recoil ammo and I'm impressed. Typically, I hunt with my 30-30 carbine but had a hankering to take out my "big rifle" for a hunt.

This .308 ammo features a 125 grain semi-pointed bullet speeding along at about 2,600 fps. 300 Savage figures are similar. My bullet punched through the chest and left an impressive exit hole. Recoil is very light in my 8.5 lb rifle.

This hunt took place in northern Florida. These deer are same size as Pennsylvania whitetails but they're much smaller further south.

TR

Fire Up the Grill! Hunting is not Catch and Release!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:16 PM
Part of the Community

I'm not sure what all the specifications are in the managed recoil loads, but when I first started hunting I killed several deer with 125 grain bullets out of a 30-06. This was before the time of managed recoil loads and my Dad reloads so he worked up so of his own "reduced recoil" loads in the 30-06 for me. The recoil was extremely mild, and I shot several bucks and does my during my early hunting years before moving up to regular 30-06 loads. When my brother started hunting, Dad loaded up 125 grain loads for his .308 and they too worked extremely well. I'm sure the reduced recoil loads are similar to the ammo my brother and I started hunting with and if so, I know the deer won't go far with a well placed shot.
jimbridger and Marcus99 like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:32 AM
New Arrival

Rolled my own reduced recoil loads for my 7600 .30-06. 170 grain flat point and 46 grains IMR4064. 2440 fps and very accurate. Here deersie deersie deersie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 AM

My brother just sent me this pic. It is a Remington 115gr from a managed recoil 270. His wife shot her buck yesterday at about 80yds. Hit a rib going in and took out the heart and both lungs. Broke another rib going out and he found it under the hide when he skinned it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 07351CE6-4C12-4672-A0BB-EF5788F15B5C_1543341032177.jpeg (640.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Cscott1; 11-27-2018 at 12:50 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:41 PM

My son "bang flopped" a big doe and an 8 point with Hornady 125gr STX managed recoil loads in 7mm-08 the last 2 years.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page