Weird things Deer Eat - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Weird things Deer Eat

Tossed some rotting pumpkins down over the hill last week. A few days later I went to look down over the hill and there was a mother and two fawns standing over them. Didn’t actually witness them eating them but it sure seemed like they were interested in them. Just looked over the hill this morning and there is no trace of the pumpkins. Do deer actually eat pumpkins ? Not sure what other animals would of consumed them if it wasn’t the deer.
I don’t hunt behind the house but there is plenty of food around so I can’t imagine why they would want to eat them ?
What other things have you witnessed deer eat that surprised you or someone else you may of told ?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Happy Thanksgiving HPA family.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:02 AM
Part of the Community

This is the second time I've heard of deer eating pumpkins. Yesterday was the first. Somebody was getting rid of pumpkins at work at the end of the day and asked me if I wanted them to put out for deer. I laughed and declined, thinking she was just trying to pawn them off on me, but she said that's what her husband does.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:06 AM

Deer eat pumpkins all the time. They eat mine every year when i throw ours out after halloween. Sometimes hours after throwing them out they are out there eating them. I have seen deer eat bird eggs before which is really strange.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:13 AM

there was an article in an outdoor magazine once about deer eating fish. i think it was on anticosti island or something like that.
Muzz, loridr and Huntered like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
Deer eat pumpkins all the time. They eat mine every year when i throw ours out after halloween. Sometimes hours after throwing them out they are out there eating them. I have seen deer eat bird eggs before which is really strange.
Saw a video of a deer eating a bird once. I guess anything is fair game if they are hungry enough.
Muzz likes this.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I saw a video once of a deer eating a live bird.
Muzz likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Sage

Probably getting drunk on fermenting pumpkin juice. Seriously though, yes deer will eat pumpkins and most other fruits and vegetables if they find them.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Last week, my wife saw two deer drinking from a puddle in the corner of my driveway that is formed by the soapy water I use to wash my truck.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:30 AM
Frequent Contributor

I was at a petting zoo near Sigel and they had a big enclosure full of deer. What did they do with all the pumpkins left over from Halloween? Put them in the deer cage. I asked one of the workers if the deer really ate those pumpkins and she said yep, they love them.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Sage

Danesdad, I read your post very quickly and somehow missed the part that said "my wife saw" and read I saw my wife drinking from a puddle. I had to read it again and saw my mistake. I must be getting dyslexic.
bohunr and Pahack like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page