Packing Vs. Sledding Deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Packing Vs. Sledding Deer

Now that the CWD rules are what they are, I am looking at deboning all of my deer and then taking them out of the woods when I am hunting in Ohio. I see no reason to go thru the hassle of dragging them out just to hang and debone at camp. I did it on the buck I killed this past week because he was back in a ways. I put the meat in garbage bags and used a kid's sled to pull out the head and the meat. That worked really well with the exception of where it got steep as the stuff would slide out of the sled or when I would go over a log sometimes the head would bounce out. Once I got the deer back I put all the meat on ice in the cooler.

I have ruled out a deer cart since I am usually alone and the country I hunt in Ohio is very mountainous and steep (SE Ohio). I am looking at either continue using a sled or buy a frame pack to get the deer out. If I continue to use the sled I will add holes along the side where I could run rope thru so that I could lace like a shoe overtop of the sled. I think this would hold everything in pretty well. Or the other option would be to get a frame pack and carry it out that way.

I was thinking the pack may be easier if needing to come out of a very steep area that is a long distance? I know that once up on top of the ridge that the sled may be easier. Alot of the woods down there are mature forests but there is alot of logs to cross and there is quite a bit of underbrush in many places. I was surprised how easy the sled would go over logs that were up to 6" or so in diameter.

As a sidenote I know that garbage bags aren't the best to put meat in, but this was all I had and it was only for a short time. I plan on getting some game bags for future use.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Sage

I like the sled option based upon your description. Some of the heavy duty ice fishing sleds may serve you well when the kido's sled gives way!!
GSP66 likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
I like the sled option based upon your description. Some of the heavy duty ice fishing sleds may serve you well when the kido's sled gives way!!
Yea I have been looking at those. Seems alot of guys use the Shappell Jet sled. They are relatively cheap and have higher sides on them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Sage

I have a 10 year old Otter Pro Sled that I installed a Hyfax Runner Strip Kit to protect bottom.. You can drag it over rocks ,gravel etc . Really takes a beating. I've only used it for ice fishing but some access areas to the ice have it all.
cspot likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

I think it would depend also if you are hauling a stand in and out at the same time.You may not want to try and put a stand and a pack full of meat(and if it is a big deer) on your back.I watched a video of a Pa. hunter that did haul it all on his back.You can put all your equipment and deer meat on a sled.
cspot likes this.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSY93 View Post
I think it would depend also if you are hauling a stand in and out at the same time.You may not want to try and put a stand and a pack full of meat(and if it is a big deer) on your back.I watched a video of a Pa. hunter that did haul it all on his back.You can put all your equipment and deer meat on a sled.

That is a very valid point. I hadn't thought of that, but that could happen. More than likely though I wouldn't take the sled or the pack hunting with me. If I got one I would go back to the truck, drop off the stand and hunting gear, and then take the sled or pack back for the deer. Although if I was going back far off the road and hunting all day then maybe I would use the sled to transport the stuff. Got to think about that one.

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:46 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Yea I have been looking at those. Seems alot of guys use the Shappell Jet sled. They are relatively cheap and have higher sides on them.

I have a cart but it gets used only on trails and logging roads. I tried it in the woods and its not worth the trouble.

I purchased a Jet Sled. It gets used a lot. It is much easier to drag off road than a cart but it still takes some effort. I would recommend the Jet Sled. I have used mine for deer and decoys and it works a lot better than dragging or carrying stuff.

Walmart had a knock off of the Jet Sled on their website. I am thinking of purchasing one to leave at my other house. Last year it was something like $19.
quackmaster4 and cspot like this.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:51 AM
The Man

BTW Loggy mentioned the runner kit. I intend to purchase one for my sled. Mine is wearing well but the runners are a great idea and no doubt the sled will last longer with them.
cspot likes this.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:57 AM

I can't attest to the sled, as I've never used one, but I generally keep my pack frame in the truck this time of year, should I feel inclined to use it. I figure a 150lb deer would bone out around 65-70lb of meat, which is very doable in one trip with a pack frame. I also pack a cheap shower curtain for a clean surface to put the meat, and a few cheap pillowcases to use as game bags, both of which are considerably cheaper than products marketed specifically for those tasks.
cspot likes this.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 PM

I should mention that if the drag is relatively easy, most of the time I'll just deal with the drag because it's a heckuva lot easier and cleaner to cut them up on the tailgate than it is the ground, for me at least.
fall gobbler and cspot like this.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page