Extended Elk Season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Extended Elk Season

I don't pay much attention to the elk program in PA and recently noticed the week after the regular season there is an extended season outside the elk management area. How long has this been in effect and what is the farthest distance from the elk management area an elk has been harvested?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:33 PM
Regular Visitor

My understanding was that a few years back, some elk had moved south of 80 and outside the management zone. The goal was to keep the from populating that area. Sounds like while they are occasionally outside the management zone where the extended season exists, there's not much opportunity to utilize it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 04:48 PM
The Man

I do not believe that there has ever been an elk harvested in the extended season. That may have changed recently, but I don't think so. They harvested some in that January extended season that was held a few years back, but not in the early regular extended season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 05:51 PM

As Kudu stated there has never been an elk killed in the extended season that immediately follows the regular elk season. Generally speaking there aren’t elk outside of the established elk range this time of year. Notice I said genrally...last year there were a few flirting with route 80 though around the time of the “normal” extended season.

In ‘16 there was an extension for what is known as elk hunt zone5 due to an extremely low harvest during the regular season. This one time extension was only for zone5 tag holders and was held in January 2017. They could hunt zone5 and the open zone, same as during the regular season.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:07 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish2 View Post
As Kudu stated there has never been an elk killed in the extended season that immediately follows the regular elk season. Generally speaking there aren’t elk outside of the established elk range this time of year. Notice I said genrally...last year there were a few flirting with route 80 though around the time of the “normal” extended season.

In ‘16 there was an extension for what is known as elk hunt zone5 due to an extremely low harvest during the regular season. This one time extension was only for zone5 tag holders and was held in January 2017. They could hunt zone5 and the open zone, same as during the regular season.
I live in Sabula and we have quite a few that stick around all year down this way.I'm not sure how good your odds would be at finding and killing one during that season but they're around.Last year I got several trail cam picture of elk right behind my house and never laid my eyes on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page