Bear season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Bear season

I spoke to my outfitter for PA elk yesterday and he told me about a recent incident that happened to the neighboring cabin owner to his home. This guy is from Ohio and has a Cabin near Sinnamahoning near the outfitters home. The guy came to PA to hunt bear and he got one very close to his cabin. When he tried to locate a check station he found out there are no check stations for this season and he had to contact the PGC to have his bear checked. He called the regional office and they sent a WCO to check the bear at the cabin. The only access to his cabin is a bridge to the outfitters property across the Sinnamahoning creek and then walk to the bear hunters property. There is another cabin between the outfitter and the bear hunter which is also owned by an Ohio resident. While the WCO was walking to the hunters cabin he found a big bird feeder on the property before the hunters cabin full of bird feed. As it turns out, the bear was killed the day before the feeder owner arrived at her cabin and filled it so the hunter was not in trouble and his bear was processed. The woman is not a hunter and didn't have a clue about the feeder causing problems for those who actually hunt the area. The feeder was emptied and now anyone who wants to hunt the area must wait 30 days before doing so, which would be the guy who killed the bear and the outfitter. The hunter had no idea there was a feeder and I doubt he would have gotten charged but he can't hunt anything at his own cabin for 30 days and neither can the outfitter.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:35 AM
The Man

This is a huge problem for those that live and hunt in the suburbs. The number of non-hunters that live near wood lots, adjacent to small farms and along the foot of mountains, that have bird feeders and / or actually put out corn or other feed in their yards to attract deer for viewing is large. To the extent that it makes these areas virtually un-hunt-able if the letter of the law were to be enforced.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Fortunately there’s no shortage of places to hunt in that area. Seems like -- the pgc closed the immediate area for baiting because a bird feeder was full about 24 hours though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 11:46 AM
Part of the Community

From my experience on this side of the state. The Warden didnt have to shut down the ajoining properties. He could have just closed the property where the bird feeder is.

And before you go off the deep end, WW.
Wardens have shut down a neighbors place. I asked the Warden if my hunting area would be affected. He said no, he wasn't going to do that. But I'm guessing he could have, but didnt.
Doesn't seem fair to be punished for something you had no knowledge or involvement in.
Hungry Horse likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 12:22 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Seems like -- the pgc closed the immediate area for baiting because a bird feeder was full about 24 hours though.
How much WCO discretion is there in this area? Deer season can be cancelled if a neighbor had a bird feeder out?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I spoke to my outfitter for PA elk yesterday and he told me about a recent incident that happened to the neighboring cabin owner to his home. This guy is from Ohio and has a Cabin near Sinnamahoning near the outfitters home. The guy came to PA to hunt bear and he got one very close to his cabin. When he tried to locate a check station he found out there are no check stations for this season and he had to contact the PGC to have his bear checked. He called the regional office and they sent a WCO to check the bear at the cabin. The only access to his cabin is a bridge to the outfitters property across the Sinnamahoning creek and then walk to the bear hunters property. There is another cabin between the outfitter and the bear hunter which is also owned by an Ohio resident. While the WCO was walking to the hunters cabin he found a big bird feeder on the property before the hunters cabin full of bird feed. As it turns out, the bear was killed the day before the feeder owner arrived at her cabin and filled it so the hunter was not in trouble and his bear was processed. The woman is not a hunter and didn't have a clue about the feeder causing problems for those who actually hunt the area. The feeder was emptied and now anyone who wants to hunt the area must wait 30 days before doing so, which would be the guy who killed the bear and the outfitter. The hunter had no idea there was a feeder and I doubt he would have gotten charged but he can't hunt anything at his own cabin for 30 days and neither can the outfitter.
Good grief.......... A great example of overzealous law enforcement looking for problems were none exist. Are we going to shut down hunting around every bird feeder in the state...........

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 02:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Closing an area to hunting due to a bird feeder???
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:40 PM
Part of the Community

Apparently theres a lot more Warden discretion applied than what was so vehemently stated in another thread.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:42 PM
The Man

A half eaten salad thrown out into the yard was enough for one arrest. I wouldn't consider shooting one close to a home or camp after a person experienced that.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:02 PM
The Man

I didn't post my last week Md. experience but I will. I drew a bear tag for Md. this year after 6 years of trying. Its on a small scale compared to Pa. elk like many applying for few permits. Only thing Md. is messed up with this hunt do to its a political bear hunt actually. Md. law permits baiting for deer but not turkey or bear. In previous years we would see in our local newspaper of people busted for baiting bear and there court findings. It carrrys around a 500.00 fine. They changed the law this year and spelled out you cant hunt bear with in 150 yards of bait, before it was DNR's choice of how close you was. How would you like to be sitting in your stand bear hunting before daylight and someone 125 yards away the night before dumped a bag of corn in a legal manner to hunt deer and you got busted for hunting with in 150 yards of bait? Md. Btw, no bear for me but had fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page