Radio Collared Doe - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Radio Collared Doe

I have one on two different trail cams, I know it’s the same doe even though the cameras are a mile apart. I was wondering would anyone shoot it if they saw one?

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:00 AM

Glad you brought this up. I was up at camp after Christmas this past year and there was one hanging around our camp. I went out with the bow the one evening and i saw her and i was going to harvest her until a buck chased her off but i shot one of the other doe that was with her and she had one of those $100 dcnr tags from pennstate in her ear. I would have harvested the collared doe if a shot presented itself.
Waynzee likes this.

4B
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 11:06 AM

Yeah I don't see why not. Like the previous post said, sometimes there is a reward too. I'm not sure what the researchers take would be, but I suspect they are accustom to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:08 PM

When i called the number on the back they gave me a little history on the deer i harvested. they told me how they caught it, what area, and the date. The deer i harvested was captured about 1 mile from our camp in January (cant remember the date) of 2017 and i harvested her on December 30th of 2017. I told her about the radio collared deer and she said if i would have harvested her they would have given me the details of her travels ect... Pretty cool they will supply you with that information. This was in Cherry Springs.
1flyfish and Waynzee like this.

4B
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yeah I'd take a collared doe or buck. Your licensed to harvest a PA. white tail deer, there's nothing in the game laws about a collared deer.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:19 PM

Waterfowl hunters go nuts over banded ducks, donít see much difference with a collared deer.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 03:27 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
Waterfowl hunters go nuts over banded ducks, donít see much difference with a collared deer.
I can see it now. Successful deer hunters walking around with deer tracking collars hanging around their necks like the duck hunters.
Vonfoust, Byron and huntr4477 like this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would have no problem shooting the deer with the radio collar, she is part of a study & harvesting of that deer would be a normal end to that doe & help with the information that is needed for the study.
loridr likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:11 PM
Sage

That is correct! If it were not correct, it would be illegal to kill a collared deer, which it is not..

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:24 PM

I don't know if this is even a valid concern, but I guess my only concern would for me to somehow skew the study haha. I might feel guilty harvesting a deer that could live on and provide valuable data.

Of course I resorted back to the Penn State blog and found this from a few years ago. https://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/...-collared-deer

I guess I can pull the trigger now without guilt!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page