Newfoundland Moose - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Newfoundland Moose

Got back from our moose hunt on Sunday. Tagged a 6 point bull on the last day. I just wanted share and give a big thanks to Bigbrownie. He shared his experiences and gave me some good advice.

We had a great time and were able to go places not many people have ever been. We saw caribou roaming the bogs. They didn't seem to mind us so I'm guessing they probably haven't seen too many people. Also got to meet some nice people at camp and eat plenty of food.

I thought I'd add details.

Flew from Pittsburgh to Gander and then another 100 miles or so to camp. We hunted area 16 which they call Sandy Badger. Pretty much dead center of Newfoundland. We were 30 miles from any town. We went to Sandy Lake Lodge. Gary has a table at the Outdoor show in Harrisburg. There were 8 hunters in camp and 6 tagged moose.

Couple of tidbits about flying through Toronto. First, give yourself at least 3 hours layover to get off your flight, get your gun/ammo, go through Canadian customs, and finally security to get to your next flight. We needed all 3 hours. There's no issues with guns or hunters it just takes a long time to walk and fill out paperwork and it's not transparent. On the way back be sure to arrive in Toronto before 7:30pm. US Customs closes which means if you arrive afterwards you're staying the night in Toronto which we did due to a delay. At least Air Canada put us up in hotel with meal vouchers. Give yourself at least 3 hours for the US process too and be sure to get form 4457 filled out in-advance at your closest customs office. That expedited things considerably.

On paper the weather looked good. Not much rain with lows around freezing and highs around 50. The first two days we were able to get bulls to respond but they stayed in the woods. Personally I think they might have been educated to calls by now. Lots of tracks in the bogs though so they were moving at some point.

The third day was sunny, no clouds, and no wind. Nothing was moving. Day four we moved to the better, more remote area for hunting. Two nice bulls were taken there earlier in the week. Again sunny and maybe a little warm in the afternoon, then the wind picked up to around 30 mph which shut down everything. We saw about 10 caribou along with some geese and ducks. It was awesome to watch the caribou. They're beautiful creatures.

The last day was overcast and cooler so we were hopeful they would be moving. They were. We saw a small bull and some cows in the middle of the ATV trail but they took off before we could hop off, load, and get on target. We went a little further to a small river crossing and our guide saw a bull cross so we rode about a 1/2 mile over to the next bog walked out into the bog about 150 yards and started to call.

The guide left me and took my buddy to another spot to cover another opening. About 15 minutes later I hear a faint grunt. A few minutes later a twig snaps. A few minutes after that he pokes his head through an opening in the trees about 40 yards away. He was looking right at the call next to me. I slowly bent down and raised my rifle. I put the crosshairs on his shoulder and squeezed. I didn't hear him run or drop. After about 10 minutes I walked over to the opening. No blood or sign. The guide starts walking inside the treeline and no sign. I started to get that sick feeling even though I knew I didn't miss. I walk up a little hill and there he is. He didn't go 20 yards. The 7mm Mag and 160 grain partition did the trick. Pretty much traveled the length of his body. Then the real work began.

They took the moose to the butcher on Saturday after skinning and hanging it overnight. It's being shipped in late November so hopefully moose steaks for Christmas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01561.jpg (1.25 MB, 95 views)
dce, JasonN, Loggy and 19 others like this.

Last edited by CMitchell; 10-10-2018 at 10:20 PM. Reason: More Details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 03:53 PM

The first time you walk up to a dead moose you think you shot a dinosaur, they’re that big! Congrats.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 03:56 PM
Sage

Congrats, good job.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

details!!!!!we need DETAILS!!!!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:04 PM
The Man

Excellent! Congrats! That country up there is truly spectacular.
blackpowder likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats. nice going.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congratulations! A Newfoundland Moose Hunt is on my bucket list.
blackpowder likes this.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! Give us the story! Where at in Newfie did you hunt? Outfitter?
blackpowder likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
The first time you walk up to a dead moose you think you shot a dinosaur, they’re that big! Congrats.
Agreed! I felt the same way when I killed a moose in Newfoundland.
blackpowder likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

Down to the wire! Congrats on a great trophy! Thanks for sharing.

NRA endowment life member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page