6.5-300 weatherby...questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

6.5-300 weatherby...questions

I was lucky Saturday and won a Weatherby 6.5-300 Vanguard.....I am glad as it is my first gun in 50 years of living....Birthday was Friday...LOL

Shells are $75 a box...Can you reload them? or just easier to bite the bullet?

Also...will the barrel wear out after 1,000 rounds through it....Pa long Shooters forumn...said it will decrease after 1,000....was looking at other forumn

Is it better to just put it away and see if value goes up or...be me a shoot it to see if it is a 1,000 yard gun......

How bad is the recoil.....just curious...

Thanks
Pa Teeny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 AM
The Man

You can reload for it and that is the best way to go. If you reload you can reduce the loads and customize them for your needs. Keep the loads moderate and the barrel should last for a long time.

BTW congratulations!! Vanguards are great rifles and from what I read the 6.5-300 is a great round.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

6.5 mm bullet with a cavern of powder behind it. What's not to like about that? No doubt a great cartridge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 AM
New Arrival

You can reload, and I suggest you do so. There are a ton of high BC 6.5 bullets out there now. Use Fed 215 primer, Neck size the brass (for more brass life and better concentricity) , Try slow powders such as Retumbo, US869, or even H1000. Once you get yourself set up with supples and find the right load, you can load for about $1.40/round. Not bad for the baddest 6.5 on the planet.

You have a Vanguard, which means your gun will most likely be a very good shooter out of the box. As far as barrel life, if you take your time and let the barrel properly cool in between shots you will definitely see prolonged barrel life. (I usually wait 3-5 minutes when its cold and 5-7 minutes when its warmer) If you look closely as to the terms of decreased accuracy vs. "shot-out" barrel you will discover the 2 are entirely different. For this caliber, normal decreased accuracy will occur around 1,000 - 1,200 - rounds. Now this is where the argument may start. This can simply be going from a sub 1/4" group to a 1/2"-5/8" group for a reloader, or it can mean going from 1" to 1 1/2" for a box ammo guy. I know a guy shooting sub moa with a 30-378 after 1,500 shots with factory barrel. Why? because they never shot rapidly to the point where you can light a cigarette off the barrel! All in all, barrel life / performance all depends on how you treat rifle and what you perceive as being accurate.

*This is from hand loaded 140gr. berger @ 3375 FPS* Recoil without a break is snappy, but nothing that is unmanageable. With a muzzle-break, its comparable to a .270.

Some may argue with me here, but I'm a bit old school with my logic - You should have proper bullet expansion velocities and the proper knock-down power for a proper and humane kill (~1,200 lbs/ft. for white tail and ~2,000 lbs/ft for elk).

1,000 + yard paper puncher / steel plate gun = yes
650 yard and under Medium Game gun = Yes
450 yard and under Elk gun = Yes

To sum it up, if you want to be a part of the 6.5 LR crowd and actually have a cartridge capable of being very effective on game at extended range go for it. You have the Ferrari. If you aren't looking for a rifle with laser beam trajectory or the ability to put down game DRT at extended range, save your money and go with a 6.5 creed more.

Go where others refuse, but do not lose your common sense along.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

BLC3128- Thanks... I am excited to shoot it an see what distances and my accuracy... I am able to hit...I will save your information and tell Santa what I want..lol It is a Vanguard.....camo, tan bluing and muzzlebreak...

I have a 7mm and will try this out...as far a kick....I am getting old and love to shoot...long distance...

Had an RCBS reloader but sold it ....what do you suggest for a reloader or Dies for the 6.5-300 Weatherby? ( where to buy dies?)

Thanks...I appreciate it...I almost took less money to buy another gun owner of gun store only offered $600 cash to switch...so it was a no brainer....Glad I took the GUN..

Last edited by Pa Teeny; 10-09-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: adding info
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:09 PM
New Arrival

Check out Midway for dies Redding Dies are hard to beat. IMO you get what you pay for. If you are shooting for distance opt for the heavier for caliber bullets. Berger 140 VLD , Sierra 150gr Matchking are great choices and have very good BC. Put a good piece of glass like a Leupold VX5 or VX6 or Nightforce and you will have yourself a nice long range hammer. Good Luck!

Go where others refuse, but do not lose your common sense along.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 PM
The Man

Reload most definite. One thing with Whby. brass its good and tough. That radius shoulder makes a stronger case for hotter loads then others and you can get several reloadings. I have a 257 whby don't use it anymore but have gotten several reloadings from it. Keep an eye on your necks and primer pockets. If you become proficient you could take deer 8-900, elk 6-700 yards but that's a different game when you get in to Long range shooting and hunting.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:48 PM
Part of the Community

i bought a weatherby vanguard in a 6.5 creedmore and put a leupold vx 5 on it. awesome set up
BLC3128 likes this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:10 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Also...will the barrel wear out after 1,000 rounds through it....Pa long Shooters forumn...said it will decrease after 1,000....was looking at other forumn
How long would it take an average guy to shoot 1,000 rounds through a big magnum rifle? That's a box a year for 50 years. Unless you're a competitive shooter, I doubt that you'll have to worry about shooting out a barrel.
drags likes this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 07:04 PM
The Man

I actually custom built a rifle a few years ago that I would say would be as hard on barrels as anything. I was building it for hunting so here is my opinion.
Fire form brass, break in barrel, get scope on paper - 20 rounds
Work up pet load - 30 rounds
Paper punch some long range targets to verify
drop charts. 30 rounds
Total ------ 80 rounds
So if this one was a real barrel burner or should be said throat burner good for 300 rounds, you could sight in with 3 shots and kill 2 deer with 4 shots if needed. That's kind of a long time life span if the way I look at it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page