14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Sage

More federal Judge interference

WYOMING

Judge puts hold on

Rockies grizzly hunt

A judge on Thursday temporarily blocked the opening of the first grizzly bear hunts in the Rocky Mountains in more than 40 years, as he considers whether the government was wrong to lift federal protections on the animals.

U.S. District Judge Dana Christensen’s order came two days before Idaho and Wyoming prepared to open the first grizzly bear hunting seasons in the Lower 48 states since 1974. The move marked a victory for wildlife advocates and Native American tribes.

SOURCE: WIRE REPORTS

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 AM
The Man

Soo I guess we have another judge who is smarter than the experts. This crap has got to stop.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 02:39 PM
Part of the Community

"We're gratified the grizzly trophy hunt will not proceed this weekend," Wildearth Guardians attorney Bethany Cotton said on Thursday. "We have restored hope for grizzlies' recovery across their range."

Sometimes I think these people think nature is what you see in a Disney movie. All the animals are friends and sing songs together.
4x4dad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 02:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

"We have restored hope for grizzlies' recovery across their range."

Ask the parents of the kid who was just mauled in Yellowstone if the grizzlies have recovered any.......
4x4dad likes this.

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 03:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wildearth Guardians...what a nobel sounding name. Their motto....

Stupid people doing even stupider things!
4x4dad, Tony300wby and cz550 like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They want to put humans on the endangered species list.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:55 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
They want to put humans on the endangered species list.

It sounds like it.

I have a good friend whose best friend lives in Wyoming. Two years ago he was charged by a grizzly. He was elk hunting just outside Jackson Hole where he lives. As he approached his truck he saw a bear tearing apart his cap. He was uphill and about 110 yards from the truck. He yelled to scare the bear away. It turned and charged uphill at him. It was a few feet away when he killed it.

Wyoming Game & Fish conducted an investigation and cleared him immediately because of the damage to the truck and the bear's tracks from the truck right to the point of the kill confirmed a charge. You have to wonder what would have happened if he was unarmed.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:32 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemrarely View Post
"We have restored hope for grizzlies' recovery across their range."

Ask the parents of the kid who was just mauled in Yellowstone if the grizzlies have recovered any.......
Most of the people who visit Yellowstone have no business being there. With some of the flat out stupid things that you see people do out there, it is truly a wonder that there aren't more incidents that take place. The fact that there aren't is testimony that grizzlies are not the monsters that some want to make them out to be. I was out there for two weeks last month and still shake my head at some of the things that people do. Like walking up to a sow grizzly with a cub to get a better picture while their kid is with them. I saw that very scenario happen last month. That very sow exhibited great restrain and simply vanished with her cub back into the forest, despite being surrounded by about 35 people trying to get closer and get better pics. She had every opportunity to attack someone, but didn't.

Every single time that I visit Yellowstone Park, I actively seek out grizzlies almost the entire time, and have never come close to having an incident. No doubt they need to be respected and you need to keep your head about you. But IMHO, humans cause the majority of instances out there.

Back to the topic though. The Alaskan grizzly that I harvested is my most prized trophy in all of my hunting. In my humble opinion, they are the most magnificent game animal on the face of the earth. As long as the Game and Fish departments of the states involved determine that a hunting harvest can be sustained, then I am in support of any sport hunting to be done in the greater Yellowstone region.

Last edited by kudu58; 08-31-2018 at 11:55 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:53 PM
The Man

A couple more tidbits on Yellowstone Park....

In any given year, there are far more people injured by bison in the park than by grizzly and black bears combined.

This year, more people have been injured by elk than by grizzly and black bears combined. Somehow you just don't hear about elk attacking people in Yellowstone...

If people don't like bears, then they should stay at home.

Last edited by kudu58; 09-01-2018 at 12:02 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:12 AM

Activist judge issues aside, part of me thinks this is better for hunting in general. The bear huggers were set to make a clickbait sensationalized field day out of the "trophy hunt" for ole Smokey. That cannot and should not happen. We as hunters need to have some self awareness, and this fuzzy wuzzy grizz hunt is a touchy issue with the general public. Needs to be done with utmost care.
kudu58 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page