Slower sales in CWD areas? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Slower sales in CWD areas?

Are antlerless tags selling more slowly in CWD areas?

WMU 4A had 38,000 antlerless tags, as of 8/23 only 26,175 have been sold, leaving 11,825.

So is CWD causing slower sales? Or is this normal for 4A. (5A, 5B, 5C, and 5D still have plenty too.)

Curious,
Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:42 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think the additional DMAP coupons that can be used in either week of gun season and don't require the pink envelope hoop to jump through that are available in the CWD zones have the biggest impact on more of the traditional antlerless tags being sold. However, I used to get a 4A tag, but haven't for a number of years despite having access to a pretty good spot. I stopped mainly because there are areas closer to home to shoot a doe where I don't have to be concerned with the CWD rules. I'll still go there if I'm trying to fill my buck tag, but that's about it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:56 PM
Part of the Community

I would agree it is probably the dmap allocation. There were several new DMAP areas added to the DMA2 cwd area this season and hunters were permitted to get up to two tags for a dmap area once the licenses went on sale. I'm guessing many hunters had their doe tags for areas they hunt in 4a before regular for licenses even went on sale.
outofstater likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:17 PM
The Man

Im a 4A hunter owning property there. I think the available DMAP ( CWD ) tags is the reason. I never got a number of how many but there are now 3 different units I know. They just added one more and im sure of that since my property is in 2 zones with one being a new zone because they split it. Now I have 4 tags for my property since rt 26 goes thru it and is a divides it. I think each unit has around 13k tags or more. I pay more for them but I purchase them on first day of sales because im in the mood, also it allows me to harvest the first week if I desire. That is helpful if you tag out on a buck first few days. I kind of doubt 4A will even sell out unless someone buys for the sake of buying.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 02:25 PM

At the start of the second round, there were roughly 20,000 2d tags remaining. Usually there are 7k - 8k left for the second round. They added 4000 additional tags to 2d this year but that doesn't account for the difference. Maybe the interest in doe tags is slowing down statewide???
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 02:34 PM
The Man

The license increase in 2D this year was actually 8,000. Plus part of 2D is now included in the new CWD DMA where something like 2,000 extra tags were available, no doubt causing fewer folks in that area to send for 2D tags.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 07:45 AM

Their are only so many that hunt private land that wants to kill all the does and the gamelands in 4a are already over harvested.JMO
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:42 PM
The Man

I know several SF that is hardly hunted in 4A
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

As a 4A hunter myself, I think there is a general decline in hunters in 4A that may or may not have to do with CWD. Two WCO's were parked in the parking lot of SGL 147 on Saturday night. As usual, i was the last truck in the lot since I had a 2.3 mile hike out of the woods. As I approached my truck they got out and introduced themselves. Nice guys, checked my license and then we chatted for a bit. They had asked me why no one was out. They checked a total of 3 licenses the entire day on all of SGL 147. I told them that when I was there in the morning I only saw two other trucks when I drove by 4 of the parking areas. To me, it was astonishing to see such little hunter activity on the first day of the season. It was cool, dry, very little bugs, everything you hope for on the first day.

Obviously, I don't mind it one bit. Less pressure means more sightings for me.

Previously JJ5C
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

As a 4A hunter myself I have heard less shooting the past couple years and our group has taken less does per year since the change to buck only the first week. I believe this is due to many of the does being pushed during buck season and moving to more remote areas until the season ends. This leads to less antlerless opportunities which makes people less likely to buy the tags. Combine that with the CWD zones expanding and the fact that they added 10,000 more tags this year means that tags simply won’t sell out as quickly or at all.

Everyone I know that hunts 4A got 2 doe tags, I sent in with my dad and brother for two tags then added a third since I was mailing the envelope for a friend since he had never applied for doe tags before. I think that the area has simply reached saturation and the people who hunt there either have their three tags or are fine with the number of tags received.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page