I think this would be an improvement - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

I think this would be an improvement

Some here have complained that those of us who think the antlerless process could be improved don’t lay out a “plan” so I thought I would. No I do not have any facts on costs or actual system capacities, what I am posting is an idea. I personally do not believe any substantial additional costs would be incurred. As with any change in anything the cost and feasibility would need to be to be evaluated by those with access to the numbers. I submit my ideas for discussion and not as a business proposal...

Each hunter can apply for first round antlerless tag at time of license purchase. Other than new hunters, every hunters info is already stored in the system and would greatly reduce possibility for human error. A selection would be made just like any other add on the hunter is getting. Simply select yes enter drawing and choose a wmu. Software wise this would be no different from choosing elk draw and picking sex/zone so the system is capable of this type of information. Applicants would most likely need to pay at least $0.90 to cover entry maybe more depending agreements with license venders.

As for a drawing itself, I believe a random computer based lotto is the most fair and even system. The pals computer systemic used in our elk draw and as I understand it in some other states to draw for various tags so I see no reason it would not be capable of an antlerless drawing. If o am wrong about that, there are many generic programs that the hunter database could be up/downloaded into and are common to nearly every office around. I would suggest a separate lotto for each wmu for each a resident round then a NR round. These could be followed later by either combined or separate res./NR second round drawings. Since drawings would only take seconds multiples should be no problem. Dates could be led as is for ease or remembering or time added if believed to be needed. I would suggest leaving at least a week between resident and NR to allow NR time to check if their preferred wmu has sold out. I see no need for any type of preference point system since currently no first round residents are denied a tag and under the current system NR get a shot at only what is left anyway, this wouldn’t change.

Distribution of tags it the only place I see any chance for much increased cost. Anyone with internet access could check if they won as they do now and choose to have tag mailed to them(just like buying online now) at cost to them, or going to a licensing agent for payment and pick up. Agents could collect the dollar that previously went to ct. licenses paid for online and shipped the pgc could keep that dollar which would help offset any costs incurred. Those without internet access are the tough part. A trip to an agent to check status and pay/pick up tag is the most simple. There might also be ways of phone notification or prepaying but those could incur some cost or possibly require a refund. The number of hunters “offline” is decreasing every year so these problems go away on their own eventually.

That’s what I was able to put together on my lunch break. It’s not perfect and I’m sure some of you will find holes and attack like a pack of coyotes. I know I have more details and explain actions in my head but there you go let’s call it my first draft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think some people have to much time on their hands. Throughout all of the posts on this subject and the poll over twice as many are against any change.

The more that I read your posts it looks like you have a vendetta against a CT because one may have whizzed in your cornflakes at one time or another.
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:28 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA53393 View Post
I think some people have to much time on their hands. Throughout all of the posts on this subject and the poll over twice as many are against any change.

The more that I read your posts it looks like a CT whizzed in your cornflakes at one time or another.

Absolutely hysterical.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA53393 View Post

The more that I read your posts it looks like you have a vendetta against a CT because one may have whizzed in your cornflakes at one time or another.
ya probably too much time. As for a vendetta, no not at all. I’ve always used butler ct and they get the job done. That doesn’t change the fact that they have no business being part of the system.
Danesdad likes this.
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
ya probably too much time. As for a vendetta, no not at all. I’ve always used butler ct and they get the job done. That doesn’t change the fact that they have no business being part of the system.

why
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Banned

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
why

Why should they? Are the CT's and PGC two separate agencies? Goes back to the times when you grease my hand (vote), I'll grease yours (doe tag).
Imagine that?
Danesdad likes this.
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 06:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stlight View Post
Why should they? Are the CT's and PGC two separate agencies? Goes back to the times when you grease my hand (vote), I'll grease yours (doe tag).
Imagine that?

really??? is that what you think it is all about?
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Sage

It is called an obsession, it is sad.
outofstater and blackpowder like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
It is called an obsession, it is sad.
I never seen someone so obsessed over the doe tag process almost like an addiction of some sort. Just let it go man its a battle your losing. Like someone else said, the polls are even showing most like the current process the way it is.

4B
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 07:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ill give him credit, at least there was a attempt made. Obviously he is seeing its not very easy to improve on the current process.

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page