DMA Deer Testing and Disposal - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

DMA Deer Testing and Disposal

In light of the DMA areas being vastly increased, I'm wondering what the turn around time for getting test results from the PGC will be to find out if your deer is diseased or not. Also, our camp is literally across the road from a DMA area. Since we will not be allowed to drag the deer across the road to process it ourselves (as that would be removing the deer from the DMA area), I'm wondering what the legality is of boning it out and leaving the remains in the DMA area. The nearest "High Risk Parts Disposal" dumpster is 30 miles away. What are the practical solutions to processing a deer yourself? We have out-of-staters at our camp that leave for home first thing Sunday morning so taking a deer to the processor would not be practical. Not nipping this problem in the bud 10 years ago seems to have created a giant logistical nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:20 AM

Where is your camp located?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Rte 949, across the road from the new DMA3 area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:20 AM

There is a collection dumpster at the Conservation District on 28N of Brookville and there are plans to have one north of Clear Creek on 949.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

That's good to know.
This has got to be a major burden on the PGC reacting to a problem that should never have occurred.
This is just my opinion, but I'm beginning to think that the root cause is the market for "trophy" bucks that some people will pay anything to kill.
With the proliferation of deer farms has come the drastic increase in CWD cases.
Danesdad likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:27 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

PH-Our camp is in the DMA2 area. Last year the turn around time for the results was about 2 weeks for us. That was the average for the 4 deer that we submitted.

As far as leaving the carcass in the woods, that is a contentious area. All of the DMA information you receive states you are not allowed to leave any high risks parts in the woods. The "but" is, there is a section on the PGC website that states as a last resort if it is difficult to remove the carcass from the woods you may leave it there. I talked to the PGC and they were going to look into the misconstruding information, but the last time I checked a few weeks ago the language was still there.

If a Warden stops you and questions you about not having a carcass, I assume they would need to hear a very compelling reason for why it was left in order to not cite you.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Well stated Tater. The contradictory language is what made me question the legality of leaving the remains.
Like I said, this is a logistical nightmare with no easy solutions. I hate to say it but, I think we're pretty much screwed.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyHollow View Post
Well stated Tater. The contradictory language is what made me question the legality of leaving the remains.
Like I said, this is a logistical nightmare with no easy solutions. I hate to say it but, I think we're pretty much screwed.
If your camp is literally right across the road, I would try to get ahold of the local WCO and explain your situation. The intent is not to spread it around the state. However if you could literally cut it up a few hundred feet from the cabin legally, the WCO may cut you a break as it really wouldn't be different. Then again he may not, but I think it would be worth the phone call.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:18 PM
The Man

I attended a meeting the PGC put on 2 years ago and they stated you could leave the parts in the woods but could not remove them from the DMA. My cabin is only 15-20 minutes away from a disposal site and I use it. I don't care to have the parts on my property regardless of cwd or not. Back in the day I would bring my parts home and put out for my garbage collection.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:11 PM

we had deer tested last year and it ranged from 4 weeks to 2 months to get the results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page