Weekly Doe Tag Sales Evaluation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Weekly Doe Tag Sales Evaluation

So like many of you fellow hunters on this site I sent in my doe tag application the previous Friday and spent last week watching threads about people wondering if they will get the tags for the WMU they wanted. So while I was thinking about it last night I grabbed a screen shot of the numbers for the first week and decided to put it in excel and determine which WMUs filled up the fastest based on percentage of tags sold per WMU and which WMU’s were the most popular based on the # of tags sold vs the total tags sold for the week.

I have attached the two charts plus the one in WMU order as shown by the PGC. Now this is simply a reflection of the first week of resident only first round picks, by the end of this week we should have a pretty good lay of where PA residents prefer to get their doe tags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 38AE9363-C81B-439D-AE19-0180C58BFFC3_1531762505150.jpeg (108.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg 758C3783-619B-49FC-B023-0CB6A509A66C_1531762520498.jpeg (114.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg 4536CF82-5A4F-4457-9AD8-67E97CFA5C34_1531762532134.jpeg (114.2 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Banned

Good Move 2H

IMO, many of the WMU's should be broken up like WMU2H. No other doe tags are available for this area, but WMU 2G has 9000+left which could have been used in that area before the break-up.. I don't understand the reluctance to break up other WMU's.
PunkyHollow likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stlight View Post
IMO, many of the WMU's should be broken up like WMU2H. No other doe tags are available for this area, but WMU 2G has 9000+left which could have been used in that area before the break-up.. I don't understand the reluctance to break up other WMU's.

Totally on board with this! I have to suffer the 'low' allotment and rapidly sold out consequences of hunting in 2F but I'm in the farm belt of 2F that's a whole lot more like 2D. We have deer tripping over themselves, but since the ANF comprises most of 2F and it's all big woods they ignore the farm country/private land and allocate based on the big woods forest health (maybe they don't ignore it, but it sure seems like it). Thank God for DMAP!
PunkyHollow and 1stlight like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The smaller the units the better they can be managed. I imagine the main drawback is finding the $$$ to pay for collecting and analyzing the data in order to form the smaller units.

The otherside side being a tag covering a larger geographical area gives the hunter a larger area to hunt. More of a concern to hunters who rely more on public land for their hunting I imagine.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hunt 2F and my son and I had no trouble getting our doe tags for the past 3 years. But this year, we also hit the DMAP tags as well. Between the 2 of us, we have 7 tags ( Not that we actually think we'll fill that many ) but it should definitely help to fill some freezers!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:21 PM
Banned

Adjust the border lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN View Post
Totally on board with this! I have to suffer the 'low' allotment and rapidly sold out consequences of hunting in 2F but I'm in the farm belt of 2F that's a whole lot more like 2D. We have deer tripping over themselves, but since the ANF comprises most of 2F and it's all big woods they ignore the farm country/private land and allocate based on the big woods forest health (maybe they don't ignore it, but it sure seems like it). Thank God for DMAP!

Good point Jason. I don't know exactly the area you speak of but beside carving out a new WMU, redrawing WMU 1B &/or WMU 2D could also help address the large deer populations. When WMU's first came on board, the PGC said things could be tweaked if needed but it seems your "farm belt" has been missed.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

<---- Is always looking for new farms to hunt in 2F...… We have crossbows - will travel.... LOL
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik Man View Post
<---- Is always looking for new farms to hunt in 2F...… We have crossbows - will travel.... LOL

If I had more acreage I'd invite you! One neighbor is in the farm/game coop, but doesn't allow archery. Two others are posted, one is posted on the road front, but not our 'inwoods' border. I'm surrounded by woodlots and ag. I'm just north of Shippenville....just a few miles from 2D.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stlight View Post
They ought to just go back to the county system like back in the old days. Make each county its own WMU.....Worked back then, don't see why it can't work today.

BTW, the way things are going the area I hunt in will one day become absorbed into 5D. They keep shifting the western boundary of 5D out more my way. Right now 5C is a sliver of what it once was in the southern part of the WMU. Again I say lets just go back to the old system of county by county.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Buddy got the pink envelope back on Thursday. No error, awarded and returned. He put it in the mail the previous Saturday. Never knew one to come back that quick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page