Minimum Score for a Buck to be considered exceptional in PA - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyman62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster View Post
He grossed 170, netted 164 non typ. He's old news though, took him back in 2003. It's been awhile since I've shot a big one. I don't hunt quite as hard as I use to, still love archery hunting but just don't have the gumption I once had.

your uncle did a great job as usual on both of my bucks from last year.

PS. i never get tired of seeing that big boy you killed.
Thanks, my uncle does good work for sure. I almost had another for him a couple seasons ago. Buck was an absolute hog. I fell apart and shot right over his back at 12 yds with my longbow. Saw him again last year for about 30 seconds. With any luck he's still on the hoof this fall.
muskyman62 likes this.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyman62 View Post
Quote:
He grossed 170, netted 164 non typ. He's old news though, took him back in 2003. It's been awhile since I've shot a big one. I don't hunt quite as hard as I use to, still love archery hunting but just don't have the gumption I once had.

your uncle did a great job as usual on both of my bucks from last year.

PS. i never get tired of seeing that big boy you killed.
Thanks, my uncle does good work for sure. I almost had another for him a couple seasons ago. Buck was an absolute hog. I fell apart and shot right over his back at 12 yds with my longbow. Saw him again last year for about 30 seconds. With any luck he's still on the hoof this fall.

Yes. I'm very good friends with him and Jackie and rightfully so. I've given them about 8 grand over the years. Haha

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
post #63 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

There are some very nice bucks in this neck of the woods. I think an exceptional buck would still be anything over 120. I never really measure anything I shoot but have a couple of that caliber. I do know there are far larger deer on the ANF. I have never had an opportunity at a buck larger than 130s in archery. I have seen a few dandies the last week of the season over the years. Only one from the stand, one walking out from the stand and a few from the truck. They are there though. I get pics every fall and the shed antlers I find every winter blow my mind. They are definitely a hard animal to get in bow range in a big woods environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavsteve View Post
There are some very nice bucks in this neck of the woods. I think an exceptional buck would still be anything over 120. I never really measure anything I shoot but have a couple of that caliber. I do know there are far larger deer on the ANF. I have never had an opportunity at a buck larger than 130s in archery. I have seen a few dandies the last week of the season over the years. Only one from the stand, one walking out from the stand and a few from the truck. They are there though. I get pics every fall and the shed antlers I find every winter blow my mind. They are definitely a hard animal to get in bow range in a big woods environment.

i have seen at least 3 bucks in your general area that would range from 140-160. we own property in marienville and have really seen some good deer in the last 5 years. i don't really hunt there but will probably start to in the future.

i tend to find the deer wherever they are and figure out how to hunt them instead of finding somewhere to hunt and hoping there is a good buck there.

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
post #65 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Age=big deer, no other factor is as important.

It's small increments that make high scoring deer, sometimes those are hard to see, but added up they increase scores dramitically. Mass, that adds up quickly, and older bucks really put it on. Long main beams, those 120" 3 year olds are usually around 20 inches, older bucks go 24 or more. An average set of brows, around 3 inches, an older buck 5 or 6.

A couple inches of mass on each side, 8 inches more beam, a couple inches of brows on each side, and an inch on all the g2 and g3's and that 120 inch 3 year old becomes a 140 inch 4 year old. Nothing drastic in any one area, but added up it puts a buck into the "exceptional" catagory. As a 5+year old they can make another big jump and thats when genetics probably becomes equally important.

I used to believe that i lived in great big buck country and that most of the rest of the state wasn't. 50 thousand acres of corn and beans in mercer county, what more could a deer need. Age, he needs age, and despite all the other things this area has going for it, deer hunting here is relativly "easy". Small woodlots, broken farmland, fairly flat, those things make deer hunting here less challanging than in areas with large areas of unbroken woods. Iv'e seen pictures from big buck contests all over the state, and some of those areas with "poor" habitat have bucks that are as nice or nicer than i see here. Harder to hunt, they get some age on them, and thats what you need for big bucks.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #66 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:29 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Suburban hunting, if you can get access, also can allow deer to get some age. Getting into areas that require permission from multiple unrelated land owners, small wood lots, and a lot of humans in the area make things super frustrating, but deer can get old there, simply because it's so difficult to actually get in and hunt them.
post #67 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog View Post
Age=big deer, no other factor is as important.

It's small increments that make high scoring deer, sometimes those are hard to see, but added up they increase scores dramitically. Mass, that adds up quickly, and older bucks really put it on. Long main beams, those 120" 3 year olds are usually around 20 inches, older bucks go 24 or more. An average set of brows, around 3 inches, an older buck 5 or 6.

A couple inches of mass on each side, 8 inches more beam, a couple inches of brows on each side, and an inch on all the g2 and g3's and that 120 inch 3 year old becomes a 140 inch 4 year old. Nothing drastic in any one area, but added up it puts a buck into the "exceptional" catagory. As a 5+year old they can make another big jump and thats when genetics probably becomes equally important.

I used to believe that i lived in great big buck country and that most of the rest of the state wasn't. 50 thousand acres of corn and beans in mercer county, what more could a deer need. Age, he needs age, and despite all the other things this area has going for it, deer hunting here is relativly "easy". Small woodlots, broken farmland, fairly flat, those things make deer hunting here less challanging than in areas with large areas of unbroken woods. Iv'e seen pictures from big buck contests all over the state, and some of those areas with "poor" habitat have bucks that are as nice or nicer than i see here. Harder to hunt, they get some age on them, and thats what you need for big bucks.
One thing I've notice in my neck of the woods (2G/3B border) is that tines don't seem to grow as long as in the Southern and Western part of the state. We still have some dandy bucks, but the shorter tines hurt the scores. There are exceptions to this, I'm talking overall. Not that it bothers me, scores never impressed me much.
post #68 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:12 PM

That could very well be true, different areas probably have different genetic traits. Where i hunt in illinois long tines are the rule. It's not unusual to see 2 year old bucks there with 10 inch tines. Thin14 inch wide racks, but 10 inch g2's.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #69 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Suburban hunting, if you can get access, also can allow deer to get some age. Getting into areas that require permission from multiple unrelated land owners, small wood lots, and a lot of humans in the area make things super frustrating, but deer can get old there, simply because it's so difficult to actually get in and hunt them.
look at the record book, allegany county is near the top for that exact reason. Some of the counties in the SE are in that conversation too.

Anything that limits hunting pressure/success allows more bucks to reach older age classes. Lots of distance between roads, difficult terrain, endless woods, landowner issues are all things that make hunting more difficult, meaning less hunting pressure/success and more older bucks.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #70 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

[QUOTE=yellodog;3317337]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Suburban hunting, if you can get access, also can allow deer to get some age. Getting into areas that require permission from multiple unrelated land owners, small wood lots, and a lot of humans in the area make things super frustrating, but deer can get old there, simply because it's so difficult to actually get in and hunt them.[/quote

look at the record book, allegany county is near the top for that exact reason. Some of the counties in the SE are in that conversation too.

Anything that limits hunting pressure/success allows more bucks to reach older age classes. Lots of distance between roads, difficult terrain, endless woods, landowner issues are all things that make hunting more difficult, meaning less hunting pressure/success and more older bucks.
Your right about Allegheny County. Small woodlots equal big bucks. I hunt the western edge close to Beaver and Washington County. Here are a couple that got run over by vehicles in this area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 474_1531334373011.jpg (300.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg west A_1531334409321. roadkill 09.jpg (26.2 KB, 14 views)

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page