Minimum Score for a Buck to be considered exceptional in PA - Page 11 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:07 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post
I also read something that said the average buck will max out as a 130 inch 8-pointer, anywhere. That's the standard whitetail. The 150 inch 10-pointers are the anomaly. Anywhere. In Iowa, there is a much better chance of getting a 170 inch buck than in the NJ pines. But, they aren't common there either.
Thatís pretty interesting. Always thought a buck with half decent genetics and good nutrition would be capable of making into the 140ís/150ís if allowed to mature.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Thatís pretty interesting. Always thought a buck with half decent genetics and good nutrition would be capable of making into the 140ís/150ís if allowed to mature.

i have seen stories of some pretty small(antler) bucks that were aged in the 4.5 to 5.5 range. i have seen some of these deer and their bodies were definitely indicative of an older deer. Very big.

these were deer from PA. i cant speak on behalf of what ive seen in the midwest. some of those deer are 200lbs in 2.5 years. lol

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
post #103 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:49 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyman62 View Post
i have seen stories of some pretty small(antler) bucks that were aged in the 4.5 to 5.5 range. i have seen some of these deer and their bodies were definitely indicative of an older deer. Very big.

these were deer from PA. i cant speak on behalf of what ive seen in the midwest. some of those deer are 200lbs in 2.5 years. lol
I have shot 3 massive bodied buck so far that dwarfed all the others I have shot over the years. The biggest rack scored in the low 130’s and the smallest rack of the three scored around 125. Interesting to think they may have possibly reached their full potential. I guess in my mind I always thought they would be in the 140’s or better if they had another year or two to grow.
I wonder how many hunters pass on bucks every year that have reached their full antler growth potential but think the deer needs another year to grow when it really won’t.
Kind of crazy if you think about it. Hunters could be out there with good intentions by allowing bucks to walk but what they’re really doing is allowing a inferior deer to spread it’s genes .

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:16 PM

This was a very old buck, not sure the exact age but he had a lot of gray and the teeth were extremely worn, I’m guessing maybe 7.5 or 8.5 years. Hard to tell in picture but also a very prominent “Roman nose”. He may have scored 80-90?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 294DA9F0-87D5-4E38-9991-E3640FFB4679_1532628799481.jpg (1.30 MB, 15 views)
steelhead125 likes this.
post #105 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
I have shot 3 massive bodied buck so far that dwarfed all the others I have shot over the years. The biggest rack scored in the low 130ís and the smallest rack of the three scored around 125. Interesting to think they may have possibly reached their full potential. I guess in my mind I always thought they would be in the 140ís or better if they had another year or two to grow.
I wonder how many hunters pass on bucks every year that have reached their full antler growth potential but think the deer needs another year to grow when it really wonít.
Kind of crazy if you think about it. Hunters could be out there with good intentions by allowing bucks to walk but what theyíre really doing is allowing a inferior deer to spread itís genes .

the doe in the area play a large part in spreading the genetics. not just the buck.

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
post #106 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post
I also read something that said the average buck will max out as a 130 inch 8-pointer, anywhere. That's the standard whitetail. The 150 inch 10-pointers are the anomaly. Anywhere. In Iowa, there is a much better chance of getting a 170 inch buck than in the NJ pines. But, they aren't common there either.
I definitely agree with the premise behind this. I think some areas may be a little higher and some areas a little lower.
post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb1815 View Post
This was a very old buck, not sure the exact age but he had a lot of gray and the teeth were extremely worn, Iím guessing maybe 7.5 or 8.5 years. Hard to tell in picture but also a very prominent ďRoman noseĒ. He may have scored 80-90?

That buck very well might be ancient but aren't the teeth the only way to tell? Mainly cementum aging. I've seen spikes that have a roman nose and gray face. Those seem more like a genetic trait rather than being age related.
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:11 PM
dce
Sage

Here's a 12.5 year old buck my buddy's son shot.I've never seen deer worn down like that.They sent what was left of a tooth to get aged and it came back as 12.5 years old.Public land in Elk county
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mike pyne.jpg (83.2 KB, 18 views)
cspot likes this.
post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:17 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
Here's a 12.5 year old buck my buddy's son shot.I've never seen deer worn down like that.They sent what was left of a tooth to get aged and it came back as 12.5 years old.Public land in Elk county
Thatís a true trophy for sure. Amazing a buck was able to survive that long on public land.
cspot likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:20 PM
dce
Sage

It was a great trophy for anyone but we have deer dying of old age up here.There's places that never see a human boot print all year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page