Useless Drive ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Useless Drive ?

Recently the method of driving deer has been deemed as useless in a post on these boards. Never did I think I would live to see the day. I don't mean the day that deer drives would be useless, I mean the day that anyone would make such a foolish statement.

Any thoughts on the matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:57 PM

People can call drives whatever they want. You wont convince me they are useless. Last year we did small pushes with 2 posters and one guy walking. We ended up with 2 deer for 3 hunters . It would have been 3 for 3 but the one guy had already used his doe tag. That was with a few hours of effort in the big woods. We have had more success with small groups 2-4 hunters than we ever did with a larger group. I am not sure why that's the case.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Sage

Let them think drives are useless, more deer for the rest of us. I never got involved in very large organized drives simply because I didnlt like the idea of shooting at deer running between trees. However I have been very successful two or three people moving deer to two or three others by simply ziz zaggig a course towards hunters in stands quietly, no yelling and beating pots or pans just moving through the woods in different sections of property. Shhhh don't tell anyone, it works.
bohunr and nomad_archer like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:12 PM

The buck in my profile picture is from a "useless drive" and actually for the guys putting on the drive it was useless. The buck circled around them after they had moved through. I was packing up my stuff figuring my afternoon was shot when he came down past me head down in the brush. Fortunately 2 doe came down after him and he lifted his head and went back to greet them.

I've done a fair amount of smaller drives and probably have been reponsible for a number of deer taken by "others" as well as our guys getting some. Generally quiet pushes but some of the thicker stuff we pushed we kept up the chatter - more to keep track of each other than to chase the deer though.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:29 PM

Drives are no more useless than sitting in a stand for ten hours and seeing nothing because the deer aren't moving.
BCozhunter, Asajoe1, jpr and 1 others like this.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

They are very effective.. I blame part of the reason why people THINK there isn't any deer is because there's not many drives going on nowadays that are moving the deer around atleast not in my neck of the woods.. of course that's just a thought I have
Danesdad and nomad_archer like this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:10 PM

I believe deer drives if done properly can be effective and safe. However, went I moved to PA years ago I attempted to go on 3 separate deer drives with 3 separate groups of "Hunters."

Each drive got more chaotic and I didn't think that was possible. No real plans, drivers and setters shooting numerous shots, drivers would take off after jumped deer rather than stay in their lane headed to the setters, trying to get out in front of other drivers to get a shot, attempting to drive deer 3/4 mile in the big woods, shooting and not following up on the shot..rushing to get to the next location, many deer retrived were shot were poor hits with much of the meat destroyed, don't ask me what was going on with permit swapping etc. and then we hit private properly which we did not have permission to be on even though I was told we did.... I ended my PA deer driving with a very long walk to my vehicle as I watched and listened as a driver almost getting in a fight with the land owner who came out to run him off.

I have been on deer drives prior to that when we met at each location, put our plans on a map and everyone stuck to their area and assignment and it was effective, safe and no tag switching.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:27 PM

You have to consider the source of comment first....A one trick pony, who bowhunts small patches of private property, and has in the past complained about rifle, muzzleloader, and crossbow hunters.
Mike Barcaskey and .204 like this.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:53 PM
The Man

Like some have said, drives definitely have their place if they are done safely and planned out by someone who knows what they are doing. And, I also prefer hunting with a smaller group after having a bad experience with a large group of nimrods that were mostly "chiefs" and very few "indians".
Born2Hunt likes this.

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:39 PM

A day spent driving deer is always exciting. Even when no deer are seen or taken, you're on high alert when the drivers come thru. And if you jump some you're waiting for that shot. Driving deer is a great way to hunt.
Danesdad likes this.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page