CWD Testing??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

CWD Testing???

What deer are the biologists testing? Are they testing road killed deer? Some, all? How about a deer reported to be running in circles and falling over and frothing at the mouth?

The reason I ask is because a guy I work with came into work this morning and told me of a deer in his yard that was showing these signs. He thought it was going to run into his truck or the side of his house. It finally collapsed and his son said it was still laying there nearly dead. He reported this to the local regional office and they told him they'd send someone out. He asked that he be notified if it tested positive for CWD and they told him it was a "crapshoot" as to whether they would test it or not. Does that sound odd considering the seriousness of this disease?

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:11 AM
Sage

Sounds like it may be circling disease, I have see two that had that. I had one tested at the PA dept of Ag lab in Hbg.

CWD symptoms----How can I tell if a deer or elk has CWD?
Animals infected with CWD do not show signs of infection for 12 or more months; many infected animals look completely healthy. Late stage symptoms of CWD-infected animals include an extreme loss of body condition; excessive drinking, urination, salivation, and drooling; and behavioral and neurologic changes such as repetitive walking patterns, droopy ears, a wide-based stance, and listlessness. Some animals lose their fear of humans and predators. There is no known cure. It is important to note that these symptoms are characteristic of diseases other than CWD.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would have thought that testing a deer exhibiting any kind of behavior described as a no brainer?

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:58 AM
Sage

I would be surorised if it isn't tested and it was probably a dispatcher that said that if indeed it was said. What part of Berks does the guy live in?

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Northwestern Berks. That's what was said, take that to the bank.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Sage

I never said that was not what you were told.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall gobbler View Post
I would have thought that testing a deer exhibiting any kind of behavior described as a no brainer?
Not necessarily. For example they don't test every deer that has had EHD. They will only test if "fresh" as the test isn't valid I believe after that.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well, this one collapsed in my buddy's yard. Pretty fresh. At least as fresh as heads from dead deer thrown in a box.
I guess my point is that I thought it was a very strange response given the seriousness of the disease.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:12 AM
The Man

I read somewhere that they are very busy this time of year.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall gobbler View Post
Well, this one collapsed in my buddy's yard. Pretty fresh. At least as fresh as heads from dead deer thrown in a box.
I guess my point is that I thought it was a very strange response given the seriousness of the disease.
I suspect the decision would partly depend on if and when there is an officer available to respond to the incident. Unlike police departments, who have officers on duty 24/7 that just isn't the case with Game Wardens. If they are going to call a Game Warden out after their eight hour shift or on a day off they have to pay them time and half or perhaps even more depending on the day and previous scheduling issues.

Since the State Legislature has failed to adequately fund the Game Commission the agency has to be very frugal about prioritizing the callouts and what it is costing. Officers not responding to incidents has become a necessity of the agencies financial situation. Especially with all of the added costs of CWD monitoring in recent years the money just doesn't go far enough to do everything the hunters and public want to see getting done.

Perhaps if hunters would quit sitting on their hands and start demanding that the State Legislature adequately fund the agency you would see some improvement in public service. You can only get what there is money to provide.

Dick Bodenhorn
Huntered likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page