I'm coming to hate the process - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 440Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 581 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I'm coming to hate the process

Well, it's that time of year again. Hurry up and buy your hunting license, so you can rush those antlerless applications in to have a chance of getting a tag. It seems like it's earlier every year. It's turning into a hassle because it's usually at least another month before I'd be thinking about hunting. Why cant they just have a drawing for every WMU on a set date and you apply for a doe license when you buy your general license? In this day and age of computers, why are we still mailing in forms filled out by hand? This state is so backwards in so many ways.
BBB, steelhead125, SRA-5C+ and 4 others like this.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 581 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 AM

Keeps the USPS in business.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 581 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:01 AM
Banned

What Rush??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
Well, it's that time of year again. Hurry up and buy your hunting license, so you can rush those antlerless applications in to have a chance of getting a tag. It seems like it's earlier every year.

New licenses have been available in mid-June for some time now, which gives everyone ample time for the July 9th antlerless mailing. And I don't know of any WMU selling out in the first resident round (July 9).

I do agree that the "pink envelope" process has run it's course and should fade away but that's up the PA legislature not the PGC.

Last edited by 1stlight; 06-28-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 581 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:53 AM
The Man

I don't think the process is all that bad. In fact it's pretty easy.

What I hate are all the threads of people complaining about it. Same threads.....every year....
post #5 of 581 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Banned

The process is too bad unless you’re a procrastinator like me and end up at Wally World the Saturday before doe license day, in line with 50 other guys who weren’t smart enough to go in earlier!

However, it would be nice to be able to just buy your first antlerless tag over the counter when buying your license. Not too many wmu’s sell out the first round so I see no problem in selling them otc. The mail in isn’t a lottery anymore so either way it’s first come first serve. It would move the rush from the last day before “antlerless day” to the first day of on sale.
Danesdad likes this.
post #6 of 581 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:26 PM

IMO the whole process is very fair and very simple. And most importantly; gives the PGC the ability to manage the deer population in the state. I see no reason to change.

The PGC determines the antlerless allocations based on data collected in a WMU. They inform its license holders how many antlerless licenses in each WMU will be allotted. They inform the license holders of the dates when the antlerless licenses can be applied for. They supply a simple to fill out form and envelope for those wanting to apply for a antlerless license. The antlerless application has options for multiple WMU's in case the original one chosen is sold out. They give updated numbers of how many antlerless licenses have been sold and how many are still available for every WMU. They give multiple options of where the antlerless application can be mailed for processing. They give the license holder a way to check online if they had been awarded a antlerless license. They give license holders the option of buying bonus antlerless licences.

Good luck, Tony
post #7 of 581 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:46 PM

I thought you were talking about the Philadelphia 76 er's.....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #8 of 581 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
I don't think the process is all that bad. In fact it's pretty easy.

What I hate are all the threads of people complaining about it. Same threads.....every year....
Ya have to admit it is somewhat Anal and wouldn't be that hard to change.
It's not Rocket Science applying for the tag, but for myself for over 40 years of sending in these applications
I can't tell you how many times after I mailed it in I was saying to myself did you remember to do this
or remember to do that.
I'm sure many out there have had these same thoughts.
Beyond that then you have the problems with the Treasurers with some counties being understaffed and errors on their behalf.
Myself I've never had a problem but many people have had problems from Glitches in the system.
So we can't keep saying it's the dumb hunter or whiner who doesn't like the system.
It's a Dinosaur in a modern world.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Last edited by Potter Co. Joe; 06-28-2018 at 08:04 PM.
post #9 of 581 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The reason is that it is easier to deal with several hundred thousand envelopes at 9am on July 9th than it is to deal with that many impatient people trying to get their license first to make surr they get a doe tag. The way they do it now gives everyone a 3 week window to get their liscenses then send for the tag eliminating the need to deal with the general public crowding license sales locations all at once.
post #10 of 581 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Doe tag season....another tradition I hope lives on forever!
po54 and bigguy54 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page