I'm coming to hate the process - Page 47 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 440Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #461 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
change it to what exactly ??

Look, I'm not going to cry and whine if it never changes. I simply believe there are, in this day and age, more efficient, less costly, faster and even more 'fair' ways of dealing with doe tags. I'm not saying the present system doesn't work, I'm saying it can be done better. Those of you that don't want it to change don't seem to think anything discussed is actually better and that's fine....everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just don't feel the same way about it. The same as I don't feel a single bottom plow and horse aren't just as 'good' as a tractor and a gang plow, the same as a Model A isn't just as 'good' as a new F150, the same as a rotary phone isn't just as 'good' as smart phone. Times change, 'things' change with that. Encyclopedias are a thing of the past....they just aren't used today.

The doe license process we use in this state might 'work' just fine, but that doesn't mean it isn't grossly antiquated. I don't know when this system was put in place, but I can guess it's probably over 50 years ago. Virtually nothing is done the same as it was 50 years ago.
Danesdad and OAWC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
Here' a question along those lines.....How much money does the CT make per license? And how many thousands do they process?? So they make thousands of dollars in handling these doe licenses. Take that money away from the CT's and they are not just going to take that loss and eat it. You will see other fees raised to generate the income loss, dog license, etc. They will make the money back up, possibly even in the form of small tax increases, but you will still pay for the loss of revenue.
I am juist spitballing there, not trying to state any factual things.
I read an article a year or two ago that stated CT's make $1.00 per license and the average CT brings in about $11,000/year. I've been looking for the article online but can't find it. I will post a link if I do.
Danesdad and OAWC like this.
post #463 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
I read an article a year or two ago that stated CT's make $1.00 per license and the average CT brings in about $11,000/year. I've been looking for the article online but can't find it. I will post a link if I do.
You are correct. I asked one of the CT's last year and they said they only get $1 unless that has changed.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #464 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 AM
The Man

Quote:
Well, there you go. Ask yourself, are you willing to pay more for a dog license and whatever else you get from a CT, and possibly pay higher local taxes (small as that might be) in order to fund the CT's for the financial losses they will suffer in losing the doe licenses? Because we all know, they will not just suck up losing that money and deal with it. They will recoop that money somewhere. And what if the general non-hunting public got wind of that? There will NOT be support from non hunters for all of them to have to pay more in any way, just so hunters can apply for an antler less license differently.

Lot's of questions to ponder. Lots more than just saying "let's change the process." With the legicsritters involved, I just don't see it happening in my lifetime.
post #465 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
Quote:
Well, there you go. Ask yourself, are you willing to pay more for a dog license and whatever else you get from a CT, and possibly pay higher local taxes (small as that might be) in order to fund the CT's for the financial losses they will suffer in losing the doe licenses? Because we all know, they will not just suck up losing that money and deal with it. They will recoop that money somewhere. And what if the general non-hunting public got wind of that? There will NOT be support from non hunters for all of them to have to pay more in any way, just so hunters can apply for an antler less license differently.

Lot's of questions to ponder. Lots more than just saying "let's change the process." With the legicsritters involved, I just don't see it happening in my lifetime.
i think that is the weakest reason I’ve heard for keeping the current system. That’s even worse than “ why change you got your tag didn’t ya”
post #466 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
It is a possibility. I suggested that the PGC could send part of the cost of a license to the CTs (basically "tribute" to make up for the loss. It feels kind of slimy to do that, something like what would happen in the mafia. But this is Pennsylvania government we're talking about).
...and what's next? Wardens telling hunters they check in the field "that's a nice truck you have there, better subscribe to Game News, I'd hate to see something happen to that nice truck. You know , an accident...or something".
Danesdad likes this.
post #467 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
i think that is the weakest reason Iíve heard for keeping the current system. Thatís even worse than ď why change you got your tag didnít yaĒ
Some of the arguments for change are equally weak.
post #468 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:31 AM

How about the fact that like the so called Applications for Elk in Pa non-residents are given the same opportunities as residents. Spin that to a doe tag and I am sure those "local" boys would be smarting if a non-resident gets a tag and a "local" got -0-.. Do we really want them to spin this off like they did for the Elk tags, which IMO is rigged anyway...

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
post #469 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA-5C+ View Post
How about the fact that like the so called Applications for Elk in Pa non-residents are given the same opportunities as residents. Spin that to a doe tag and I am sure those "local" boys would be smarting if a non-resident gets a tag and a "local" got -0-.. Do we really want them to spin this off like they did for the Elk tags, which IMO is rigged anyway...
there is no reason for that to happen. Non resident easily would be a second drawing much the same way as they send later now. Locals get first shot same as now. The application process is what is being suggested to borrow from the elk drawing not every detail
post #470 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:04 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
i think that is the weakest reason Iíve heard for keeping the current system. Thatís even worse than ď why change you got your tag didnít yaĒ
You're entitled to your opinion. It's just one more thing that we disagree on. IMO, the single biggest issue that will prevent the doe system from being changed will be the legislators voting upon something that will take money out of the pockets of the CT's.
Danesdad, Potter Co. Joe and OAWC like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page