I'm coming to hate the process - Page 10 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 440Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Given the flack that SRA took about the story of tag burning parties, I am somewhat reluctant to post this, but here goes.

I have an old work buddy who has a family connection in the local County Treasurer's office. He is awarded his first round doe tag within the first few minutes on the first Monday morning.....and he is always able to get a second round tag that Monday within the first few minutes of the business day, even in a WMU that sells out within the first few hours on the second round Monday. I have seen his award times first hand when he logs into the PGC site and checks his antlerless tag award information.

Great for him, but pretty crappy for anyone else applying for a second round tag in that particular WMU that is tight on tags for the second round. That's just one person at one County Treasurer.....and who knows what criteria each County Treasurer uses for determining which applications to process first. Is it truly FIFO? Family first? Then neighbors, then fellow townsfolk, then everyone else? Ha, it is anyone's guess.....
Well I have my tux all ready for that tag burning party, just need to know when and where.

I won't give you any flack for your post as I know for a fact that has happened in the past and personally know people who have benefited from such shenanigans. A long time ago, but I suppose it still goes on today.

Imagine that, corruption in government!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Given the flack that SRA took about the story of tag burning parties, I am somewhat reluctant to post this, but here goes.

I have an old work buddy who has a family connection in the local County Treasurer's office. He is awarded his first round doe tag within the first few minutes on the first Monday morning.....and he is always able to get a second round tag that Monday within the first few minutes of the business day, even in a WMU that sells out within the first few hours on the second round Monday. I have seen his award times first hand when he logs into the PGC site and checks his antlerless tag award information.

Great for him, but pretty crappy for anyone else applying for a second round tag in that particular WMU that is tight on tags for the second round. That's just one person at one County Treasurer.....and who knows what criteria each County Treasurer uses for determining which applications to process first. Is it truly FIFO? Family first? Then neighbors, then fellow townsfolk, then everyone else? Ha, it is anyone's guess.....
If that is happening it should be brought to the attention of the PGC, the treasurer, and/or whomever the treasurer reports too. The tag allocations would be very easy to track over the years and if a pattern of unfair tag allocations is evident the person responsible should be removed from their position.

Good luck, Tony
post #93 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Banned

Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
Obviously some of the hunters in NY dont think a preference point system is fair, since they are the ones complaining about it. Good luck, Tony

Huh??? Tony, Tony, Tony you have no idea what the preference points are all about, do you. All this only comes into play when you are not selected for a tag for WMU that sell out. When you miss out you get these points which can be applied for future applications. Get it? WMU4W in NYS is like our 2G, 2H and 2F WMU...they sell out very fast.

If I don't get a doe permit in PA do I get points that make it more possible to obtain in the future...no. NYS/DEC online vs PA pink envelope is like comparing a bicycle to a Saturn rocket, you just are still very confused Tony. Drink some cool water and stay hydrated.

Good luck, 1stlight

Last edited by 1stlight; 07-02-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Obviously some of the hunters in NY dont think a preference point system is fair, since they are the ones complaining about it. The guy who doesnt get his tag in Pa because he thinks the process is skewed will complain just like the guy in NY will complain. Hence what I have been saying all along, there is no perfect process that will make everyone happy. The ways NY and Pa handle the antlerless tag process is different, but one way is no better than the other. So why change?

Good luck, Tony
That would really depend on your definition of better. To me even if a system had the exact same rate of mistakes and cost the exact same amount, as long as it was very convenient and you could buy your tags at the counter with your license and walk away with them that is better.
JasonN and 1stlight like this.
post #95 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Some people keep saying change the system. Some people say the system is antiquated.

Yet none of these people have ever given a example of a system that would better handle antlerless licensing then the current system.

Good luck, Tony
The system New York uses is FAR better.
JasonN likes this.
post #96 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stlight View Post
Huh??? Tony, Tony, Tony you have no idea what the preference points are all about, do you. All this only comes into play when you are not selected for a tag for WMU that sell out. When you miss out you get these points which can be applied for future applications. Get it? WMU4W in NYS is like our 2G, 2H and 2F WMU...they sell out very fast.

If I don't get a doe permit in PA do I get points that make it more possible to obtain in the future...no. NYS/DEC online vs PA pink envelope is like comparing a bicycle to a Saturn rocket, you just are still very confused Tony. Drink some cool water and stay hydrated.

Good luck, 1stlight
I understand perfectly.

Pa and NY both have antlerless application process' that dont make all of its users happy. Not sure why you keep trying to sell me on how much better the NY system is. Maybe instead of wasting your efforts on me you should log on to the NY hunting web site and explain to those unhappy NY hunters how good they have it. I asked for someone to post a better application system, and you and no one else has. So please post a antlerless application process that is 100% mistake proof, has 100% user satisfaction, and has a 100% guaranteed delivery process. If you cant post a process that is 100% then you are just posting a process that is different, not necessarily better.

I think the bicycle/rocket comparison is funny. Problem with that comparison is some people cant ride a bike, so i doubt those same people will be able to master the rocket.

Good luck, Tony
post #97 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG52 View Post
The system New York uses is FAR better.
Maybe you can explain its advantages better then 1stlight? Because he hasnt been able to.

Good luck, Tony
post #98 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:31 PM
The Man

Quote:
Obviously some of the hunters in NY dont think a preference point system is fair, since they are the ones complaining about it. The guy who doesnt get his tag in Pa because he thinks the process is skewed will complain just like the guy in NY will complain. Hence what I have been saying all along, there is no perfect process that will make everyone happy. The ways NY and Pa handle the antlerless tag process is different, but one way is no better than the other. So why change?

Good luck, Tony

If PA had NY's instant method, with the ability to walk up to a terminal whenever time allows a person.\ (within the dates of a draw period), combined with Pa's fewer WMU and high tag allotments, how many would be walking away from the terminal without a tag? That alone fixes much of what NY hunters are complaining about. Sure some Pa units may run nip and tuck as far as allotment numbers and applicants, even then, the odds are high of drawing. If a person should be unlucky in those cases, then the next round choice they would get a priority. I can't envision Pa ever going to low allotments....but if they did, the treasurers system they have now will really suck. The only thing covering up most of the problems of the way it is done now ....is the high tag allotments.
post #99 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
That would really depend on your definition of better. To me even if a system had the exact same rate of mistakes and cost the exact same amount, as long as it was very convenient and you could buy your tags at the counter with your license and walk away with them that is better.
I agree. But no one has been able to show/prove any advantages. Each system has its advantages and disadvantages. If there is a system that would be a clear advantage over the Pa system I would be all for it. But as of right now the Pa process seems very user friendly and fair to the user. Can people describe areas that there have been problems with the process Pa uses; absolutely. But the same can be said about the process NY uses, and I imagine the same can be said about every other state.

Good luck, Tony
post #100 of 581 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
But no one has been able to show/prove any advantages.
Good luck, Tony

Tony, nobody can show you the advantages because you are unable to grasp anything....you're stuck in the past. You claim that NYS/DEC is unfair because they issue preference points. Everyone has the same chance and you claim that is bad! I done with you Tony, but I do hope someone else can enlighten you but I don't think that's possible. A closed mind is a closed mind.

Good luck, 1stlight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page