7x64 vs 280 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By simoncool

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

7x64 vs 280

Is there any selection-worthy difference between these 2 cartridges? I might have a opportunity at a Mauser M12 and would be favoring a 7mm that is enough different from the 308 I have now, but not a 7mm Rem Mag.
I reload, so ammo (brass cases really) wouldn't be an issue.

hands-on experience with both of these 2 rounds is really rare unless you're, like , Dave Petzel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:09 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

I loveMy 280's and My 280 AI but have never messed with a 7X64 . You wont go wrong with a 280 .
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Balisticaly the .280 Remington and 7 x64 are for all practical purposes identical. The 7x64 has about 1 gr more case capacity, not enough to make much difference. I have lots of experience with the .280 and have always found it to be a capable cartridge. I have none with the 7x64, but have heard good things about it. I do have experience with the 7x 57 Mauser and have nothing but good things to say about that cartridge. I don't think I've ever owned a 7mm bore rifle that didn't shoot well.

One thing you may want to consider is resale. You may have a harder time getting rid of the 7x64 if you ever decide to get rid of it, as it is not a common caliber in North America. The .280 would be much easier to sell. Or you may be like me and enjoy having a few uncommon cartridges in your gun cabinet.
Pahack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have had both, no difference in performance. I have not reloaded for either in years but if I remember correctly the reloading data is interchangeable. I lean towards the 7x64 only because it dates to 1917 & the 280 dates to 1957. Took us here in the US 40 years to duplicate a existing cartridge.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the info, fellas. That mirrors what I have heard, but it's good to get local and recent info. I used a 7X57 Ruger M-77 but it has a tooled-marked s#!t barrel and never shot well. In fact, it was a cursed rifle with problems with the firing pin not, well, FIRING the rifle when it was cold. And the ammo in the mag would *click* as I walked with it slung over my shoulder. Yeah, and it cost me my 1st buck ever. (But if it's barrel was OK and it shot well, I'd take it back like a forlorn lover would.) BUT what learning about the 7X57 did make me appreciate the 7mm in general but NOT the 67 grains of powder a 7 rem mag burns. It feels like loading a spire-pointed pop bottle into my chamber. It will be the option if I go to shoot medium to big game somewhere that longer shots are the rule instead of the exception.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in