Fawn survival the focus of may 29 webinar - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Exclamation Fawn survival the focus of may 29 webinar

Release 34-18

FAWN SURVIVAL THE FOCUS OF MAY 29 WEBINAR

Participation is limited, register online.

How vulnerable are fawns to predators, and which predators have the greatest impacts on fawns?

These questions are among those explored by a recently completed fawn survival study, the results of which will be discussed live at a Tuesday, May 29 webinar.

Pennsylvania Game Commission Deer and Elk Section supervisor Christopher Rosenberry along with Duane Diefenbach and graduate students Tess Gingery and Asia Murphy from the Pennsylvania Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit will share insights from the latest research, and answer questions from webinar participants.

The webinar is limited to 1,000 participants. Registration can be completed at http://bit.ly/2k8Efic.

For those unable to watch live, the webinar will be recorded and placed on the Game Commission's YouTube channel for later viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 06:20 PM
Sage

Great Casey, I was going to post that but you beat me to it.
casey likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:23 AM

this study is going to end up costing over $1 million dollars for the 3 year study. I painfully watched the power point presentation. This is what i learned.

!. predators eat fawns.
2. Bear, coyotes, and bobcats are predators.
3. Bear prefer hardwoods over farm land.
4. Mature deer prefer hardwords over farmland.
5, Fawns prefer flat ground over rougher terrain (easier for them to maneuver away from predators).
6. There is a mathematical equation to guess at how many deer/bear that they did not catch on camera.

Many a deer have survived until next season because of a guy named Jim Beam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:50 PM

Here's my fawn survival study....

Take the 1 million dollars, buy up more land otherwise would turn into housing developments to give fawns more area to survive.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT

Last edited by EIGHT POINT; 05-31-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

So predators are killing over 300k fawns per yr. surprised it's that high.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:59 PM

They could pay me 1 million to tell everyone that predators eat fawns. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. What a waste of money IMO.

4B
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This is the study hunters were begging for. Now that the results mirror those from 2000-01 it's a waste of money.
Bull, jimbridger and Buff like this.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The results are the same but who is doing the killing has changed.

Last edited by LONZO; 06-01-2018 at 04:39 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 02:00 AM
New Arrival

By no means am I disagreeing with the buy more land idea. However, taking fawn and predator populations densities into consideration for the two years the studies were conducted (01&18), it may be good information to have to monitor and maintain populations. Using the same amount of funding, I feel, it would have been interesting to spread the studies over a longer time frame to determine what other factors may affect fawn populations (i.e. wet cold weather events during the birthing season, hard winters, big foot etc...).

Eight Point, I live in Montgomery County also. The amount of land development is incredible. I do not think it will stop until they have paved and developed every available inch.

Want more deer...shoot more predators!

You gotta admit that this money was used in more proficient manor than the money they spent on the Nutkin the Squirrel lawsuit!

Giving up essential liberty to purchase some temporary safety justifies neither liberty nor safety

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Regular Visitor

Fawn predator study

Study same as my observations on the Hillsgrove area forests. The habitat has improved but the deer population is static at best. During the fall hunting season see as many bear as deer and hear coyotes and see their signs. The first day of rifle season hear less than a dozen shots. A pair of coyotes or a bear will find almost every fawn in their area. Given with a low deer density in this area the predators kill a larger percentage of the fawns. With years of hunting with bird dogs know they will find almost every bird in the cover hunted. Predators will do the same. Not blaming anyone, just my thoughts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page