CWD open house - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Sage

CWD open house

I thought some here may be interested.

Open Houses at Middle Creek Visitors Center to discuss Chronic Wasting Disease
In early April, the Pennsylvania Game Commission will hold two open houses at the Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area’s Visitors Center to help the public become better acquainted with Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD).

Late last month, the Game Commission established Disease Management Area 4 (DMA 4) in response to a CWD-positive deer detected at a captive deer farm in Lancaster County. DMA 4 encompasses 346 square miles in northeastern Lancaster County, southeastern Lebanon County and western Berks County.

CWD, which is always fatal to deer, elk and other cervids, attacks the brain, spreading from deer to deer through direct and indirect contact. There is no live test for CWD and no known cure.

The open houses will be held Tuesday, April 3, from 6-8 p.m., and Saturday, April 7, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Visitors Center, located at 100 Museum Road, Stevens PA 17578.

There is no evidence CWD can be transmitted to humans. However, it is recommended the venison of infected deer – or deer thought to be sick – not be consumed.

For more information on CWD, the rules applying within DMAs or what hunters can do to have harvested deer tested for CWD, visit the Game Commission’s website, Game Commission.
DennyF likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:40 PM
The Man

I attended one of these 2 years ago in Somerset County. Very educational event to attend, and can ask questions and get facts back of the laws regarding this. I would urge anyone in these areas to attend.
R. S. B. and BCozhunter like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:36 PM

The map of the new CWD DMA. Click the map to enlarge it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CWD_DMA4.jpg (1.21 MB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Sage

I wanted to get this posted so those who hunt in Lebanon, Lancaster and Berks counties could see the boundaries rather than just read them. I could not get the map scanned so I asked RSB for some help. As you can see, Middle Creek is almost in the center of the zone. My sportsman's club in it as well. We should all send letters to our legislators chastising them for allowing people to line their pockets at the expense of our whitetail deer and PA's sportsmen and all those who enjoy wildlife. Also to the PA Dept of Ag for doing nothing to help!
outofstater likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

I am unable to attend but would appreciate if someone would ask about the GC position on using deer with genetic resistance as a long term method of controlling cwd.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:34 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I wanted to get this posted so those who hunt in Lebanon, Lancaster and Berks counties could see the boundaries rather than just read them. I could not get the map scanned so I asked RSB for some help. As you can see, Middle Creek is almost in the center of the zone. My sportsman's club in it as well. We should all send letters to our legislators chastising them for allowing people to line their pockets at the expense of our whitetail deer and PA's sportsmen and all those who enjoy wildlife. Also to the PA Dept of Ag for doing nothing to help!

One thing I will add and maybe you could pull some strings. When I attended the seminar 2 years ago as I mentioned earlier it was great but had a very bad flaw. They had a educated idiot from the dept of ag there and he ruined the end of the seminar. This guy started talking due to he like to hear himself talk one of those kind and made no sense. It was almost like a pie = square ordeal and out of 200 people there I would say that 125 got up and walk out before the seminar was over. There was several WCO's there and I actually got up and walked over and said this guy is ruining this program, he agreed and said we don't know how to stop him. If any way possible if you could contact someone don't let this happen again. On the flip side it was other wise very good. They started out very detailed about the situation and how we would have to work together to make this happen. They opened then with questions and answers and went very well. Then the Vet from the PGC spoke very good guy and gave good information. This made it possible of the actual laws and what to do vs. reading , I learned a lot that evening. Once you left there was no excuse of not knowing what is expected and how to abide by the law. Here is another expense that has occurred that the PGC had to pay for. That evening there must of been around 15 officers, PGC Vet, rental of a building, and a lot of brochures that had to be printed that was handed out. Do the math we all loose again thanks to the Dept. of Ag.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Sage

I would love for dept of ag to be there and then open it up for the audience o ask questions from them regarding why they are not taking a proactive stance and putting an absolute no movement rule on those deer. Let them spit and sputter and show how stinking incompetent they are.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:07 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I would love for dept of ag to be there and then open it up for the audience o ask questions from them regarding why they are not taking a proactive stance and putting an absolute no movement rule on those deer. Let them spit and sputter and show how stinking incompetent they are.

I see and agree with you point. The experience I had that night 2 years a go it was not mentioned and the movement then on the issue was not looked at the deer farmers now as it was then. Different timing your post now would probably make another equation. This guy took actually 10 minutes to answer a question of how much it would cost to have a deer tested. At that time the Dept. of Ag was charging 75.00 and you had to take the head to Harrisburg. This came up and PGC would allow you then to take it out of the DMA for this purpose of testing. Of course now we all know the PGC had to bite the bullet and offer free testing.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Sage

The PGC should not be paying for testing now that Ag is in charge, it is their problem and exacerbated by them, let them eat the cost. Problem is, I would have a hard time believing them.
outofstater likes this.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:29 PM
The Man

I totally agree they should be footing the bill of testing but then they would be admitting guilt of the situation and I cant see that happening. Are you going to attend this meeting. If so please give us updates of how it went and if Dept. of Ag is there don't be shy! Btw, is your area now infected?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page