EHD impact/harvest numbers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

EHD impact/harvest numbers

Lot of talk about the impact or lack thereof from EHD this past summer and fall in the southwest corner of the state. Since it is generally accepted that antlered harvest is the best indicator of deer populations, and the PGC uses antlered harvest to model populations, it is interesting to see that the antlered harvest in 2A fell 13% and in 2B it fell 22%, while it increased in the rest of the state in most every WMU.

Does that add up to potentially "thousands" of deer being killed by the bug as many within the effected areas suggested?

Apparently hunters did not "self restrict" on doe harvest, as some affiliated with the PGC told me they would do, since the antlerless kill held its own in these same areas. With the deer population down prior to last hunting season, and a large doe harvest added on top of that, should the PGC reduce allocations in 2A this year since the PGC has 2A in herd stabilization mode for some time?

I don't believe allocations should be reduced in 2B since deer need killed there, but the argument can be made that in 2A they should be, IMO, since we have hard evidence the impact was significant.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

At first I thought EHD was no big deal. But in my 2 main areas it clearly impacted the herd. I've hunted these areas for years and have a real good idea of what I should be seeing and my sightings were way down. I was able to get a couple does but it took a lot of effort. And thru all of archery , rifle and flintlock I only saw 2 legal bucks. So I would be in favor of a drop in tags for a season or 2 to let it rebound in 2A. I don't hunt 2B much so I don't have an educated opinion.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Part of the Community

I hunt WashCo and don't believe a need to reduce allocations. EHD sucks and can devastate a local herd of deer pretty quick. Yes I have experienced the effects in the past. But I don't think EHD affected 2A uniformly and I know there are places in 2A still overrun with deer this year. I saw just as many deer if not more than I usually do from first day of archery till last day of muzzleloader. First evening of rifle season 30 deer out in the cornfield. Last day of rifle season we drove the farm at 8am and herd of 20 crossed the pasture.
I don't think reducing tags will make any difference at all. The herd will bounce back because there is so much private property that is not hunted that the deer will be protected and population will grow. Which is the exact reason there is so many deer down here now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Regular Visitor

2b suburban areas overrun with deer....even with ehd.Found plenty of dead before season now after season we did not even put a dent in them,,,,
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by collierdeerhunter View Post
2b suburban areas overrun with deer....even with ehd.Found plenty of dead before season now after season we did not even put a dent in them,,,,

I agree when it comes to 2B. Despite losses from EHD, it is best to keep allocations high in 2B.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckloaf View Post
I hunt WashCo and don't believe a need to reduce allocations. EHD sucks and can devastate a local herd of deer pretty quick. Yes I have experienced the effects in the past. But I don't think EHD affected 2A uniformly and I know there are places in 2A still overrun with deer this year. .

The same can be said with most any WMU. Populations are good in some areas and bad in others, but the PGC manages the unit as a whole, not locally. 2A has been in herd stabilization mode for some time now. If there is evidence that the population as a whole is lower than the goal, as we now have with the 13% decrease in antlered harvest when the rest of the state saw increases, the population is lower than the goal. If the population is lower than the goal, or higher than the goal, allocations are typically adjusted.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Part of the Community

It was one year. I don't think they would make adjustments based on results from one year. Three or fours years then there is a trend and yeah go ahead make adjustments.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We could certainly use more deer in my area of 2A. I have been seeing a few deer but our habitat around here could hold a lot more deer. A lot of the hunters I know around here didn't hunt area's affected by EHD and some I talked to said their area wasn't affected.

The older I get the better I was.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:38 PM

The buck harvest in 2A declined by a half a deer per square mile (3.87 in 2016/17 to 3.37 in 2017/18) but the doe harvest increased by almost a whole deer per square mile (5.08 in 2016/17 to 6.02 in 2017/18). I'm not really convinced there was any significant reduction in deer across the WMU even though there is no doubt some areas experienced some significant die off from EHD. Remember that an under harvest is way more damaging to the future then an over harvest would be.

With that said though I would rather expect to see a slight reduction in the antlerless allocation for 2A next year simply due to the decline in the back harvest and how that effects the worksheet for this year's population model.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:41 PM

Bag limit in Jefferson co, Ohio was reduced from 3 down to 2 in response to EHD. Jefferson is right on the border, next to the affected counties here in pa.

I worked in Washington county, near cecil, and we found quite a few dead deer in the time we were there. After that, we moved to beaver co, near wampum, saw no dead deer. Then we moved to Lawrence co, near harlansburg, and found quite a few there. From what I've seen and been told it stopped at about the Mercer co line coming northward.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page