2018 dER hARVEST - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

2018 dER hARVEST

The numbers are out and they are unbelievable 10% increase in buck kill to 163,750, antlerless plus 11% to 203,409, 20% success on buck with 57% 2.5 or better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 02:58 PM
dce
Sage

They are what they are.My son and I saw more bucks this past year than I'd ever seen and we hunted deer less than usual.On the other hand,we never saw a single person in the woods and heard no close shooting.
CROW MASTER likes this.
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:04 PM

Why is it unbelievable? I think every reasonable person down to the PGC biologists knows the system isn't perfect but I'm interested to see your attempt at their credibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM

Some other items of note I find interesting.

There is roughly a 18% success rate on archery bucks based on archery stamp holders.

PGC cited overall buck success rate about 20%.

Roughly 50% of license holders have archery stamps yet only 38% of bucks were killed in archery.

My armchair analysis, that would indicate the season allocations are probably generically "fair" within statistical significance, and a couple extra weeks of archery would not cause the sky to fall. Even with crossbows.

And there are plenty of deer left for rifles because that is just the take, there are many legal bucks surviving rifle seasons now. PGC studies are documenting very low kill rates in the big woods. Smaller woodlots are obviously more dependent on highly varying levels of hunting pressure, basically for most people that own limited acreage, what your neighbors do has a huge impact. Those aren't PGC issues necessarily or indictments of their deer program, they more are private land management issues.
nomad_archer and 1stlight like this.
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

20 years ago I would have laughed if you told me one day 57% of bucks harvested in PA would be 2.5 YO or better. What a great job the PA GC did when they implemented AR.
Danesdad and CROW MASTER like this.
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:50 PM

post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:17 PM

Not only lots of deer, lots of BIG DEER!
Uncle Johnny likes this.
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Indianahunter, couldnt agree more with that statement! If ya put in the time scouting and hunting you'll be rewarded. Atleast that's the case in the couple areas I have to hunt. and to be honest I think it only gets better from here
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

After seeing meat poles and talking to other camps in my unit, I truly believe the buck harvest went up.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:52 PM

Just quickly eyeballing the WMU data it also seems harvests really increased in North-West-Central and PA Wilds areas, and stayed flatter in the other three corners and Southern regions of the state. My home units 4D and 2G really took a big jump up. Interesting. Appears there is potentially both some CWD and EHD correlation to that regionality as well.

Potentially weather issues as well, snow and rain have significant opposite effects on rifle kills.

We also had weather-wise one the best years I can ever remember the last two weeks of archery. It was cold and crisp and terrific. The previous year was one of the worst ever with hot temperatures. I know for certain that increases the archery kill as hunter effort is concentrated those last two weeks.

Who knows but interesting to speculate. Some things to keep in mind that are beyond the PGC control and play into the data.
1stlight likes this.

Last edited by elk yinzer; 03-20-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page