2G first day no hunters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

2G first day no hunters

This has been the norm for the past few years but it kinda makes me sad for the good old days when the camps were full and each hollow had a few hunters in it. Back then I would complain about all the pressure but now on the first day I almost feel all alone out there. There were three of us hunting out of my camp yesterday and had the entire ridge across from my camp to ourselves. We saw plenty of deer, my cousin shot a DMAP doe and saw a legal buck but he filled his buck tag in archery, my buddy missed a 6 point and I was blessed to shoot my biggest buck in 30 years of hunting in Potter. Heard no shots after 1130 and only 6 trucks in a parking lot that usually held 20. Not sure what the future holds but I do miss the tradition of deer camp that seems to be slipping away.
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Regular Visitor

Not sure where you are in Potter but we are a few miles from Coudersport. Same here. I am 33 so back when I was 12-15 I remember the roads and parking lots being filled up with trucks. We now go up the last few days of rifle season and if you think the first day is slow, its like a ghost town. I miss my camp being full however I do enjoy the woods much more with less guys in it. I get to hunt and walk about with not much care in the world. I really do enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods these days but man I do miss the great stories in the evenings back at camp!
vaturkey and Tca126 like this.
post #3 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was hunting near Lyman run the past 2 days, heard only 4 shots in 2 days, had the whole mountain to myself, walked 9 miles yesterday did not see 1 hunter on SF land. 1 lonely doe seen. I was questioning if it was even deer season. Most camps were empty only a handful of cars in a 10 mile drive. Miss the good old days which i think are long gone. i am 38 and the last 2 years up there has gotten bad. No one hunting anymore. I drove home tonight 3 hour drive 1 camp had a buck and a doe, and only seen 1 buck on a truck.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Same here, I've been hunting state forest ( Dmap 45 & 46 ) since the late sixties and this in all my 65 years is the worst turn out ever.
I haven't seen a deer since the day before the opener (Sunday) and I know the buck are here because I've had trail cameras out since before archery and just pulled them Saturday. The deer were moving mostly after dark and before day break but non the less the deer are here. It use to be that you couldn't find a decent place to pull off the road on state forest property here and now you can pretty much take your pick.
On the other hand, some of what hunters that I did see yesterday and today were really inconsiderate to say the least, maybe it's that they are in experienced . I seen where two state forest gates were blocked by pick up trucks which is a big no no.
This morning I was up on a ridge looking down on the road I came on and where I have got some nice buck crossing on the trail camera. Along about 8 a.m. I see a hunter walking up this road and another one coming down the road from the opposite direction and meet right in front of me about a hundred yards below me and I'm in plain sight on stand but they didn't have a good old conversation and even laughing at one point. Well after a half hour of that (8:30) I got up and left for another spot a couple of miles away. This evening I was in a spot off the state forest road about 80 yds. up on the face of a ridge looking down and I see this hunter coming down the road about 45 minutes before quitting time and he's coming in to me. I'm in plain sight again but I figured he might be lost or something on that order. Well as it turned out he wasn't, he just wanted to know if I seen anything and began to tell me that just after day break yesterday morning he got a 7 pt. just up the road. So when I was able to get a word in edge wise I asked him what did he have against anybody else getting a buck. He asked me what did I mean by that and that's when I unloaded on this ignorant idiot. He left me just a cursing and calling me all kinds if unmentionables .
Oh how I miss the sixties and seventies when there were more hunters out kicking deer around and less of these inexperienced hunters who like to jaw jack out in the woods instead of doing it at camp or in the bar rooms where it should be done.
Any way, yesterday I heard 5 shots all day, 6:55 am one shot, 7:10 3 shots from what seemed like the same guy and 8:00 am one shot. Today, one shot way off in the distance around 7:30 am.

Taxidermist

On the borders of Tioga, Lycoming, and Bradford

Last edited by freeze; 11-28-2017 at 08:13 PM.
post #5 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 10:33 PM

I hunted 2G on Monday, out off rt 144, north of Moshannon. This was my first opening day in the big woods since 1977. There were hunters, but they seemed to be bunched up. Eight trucks at a pull off on a dirt road, go another 1/2 mile, another 6. There was some shooting, my son and I tagged does by 8:30 in a DMAP zone...I'd seen three groups of deer, including a nice rack buck chasing the doe I shot. We drove around for a couple of hours assessing the hunting activity, saw what I thought was a fair number of hunters. But it was nothing like the 1977 numbers I remember.
post #6 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 PM

sad isn't it. i think the good old days are gone and will not recover.
willyp, Muzz and SlickShot like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #7 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:04 AM

Me and my brother talked about that on Monday. Our world is moving way to fast and lots are scrambling to get keep up. When I was a kid and lived on our farm. Things were a lot slower and deer season was kinda our vacation. I heard maybe 7 shots in 4E Tuesday. What a shame

Concept Archery Shooter.....99% Letoff
post #8 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:40 AM
New Arrival

Seems like over the last ten years the trend has switched. More guys stay down country for the opener then head to camps the second week when they can take does. A lot of guys have filled buck their tags in archery or have higher deer densities in the farm lands and woodlots near home. Guys like the big woods experience but they don't like driving 2-3 hours, opening camp to hunt one day, see few deer or hear few shots on the first day. I've noticed more cabin/camp occupancy in 2G on the first or last Saturday. With that said, the northern tier will never be like it was in the 80's in terms of number of hunters. Those camps being full the first week, maybe even hiring a cook, staying at camp all week even if you harvested one on the opener -- those days are gone.
NeinPoint likes this.
post #9 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:41 AM
Regular Visitor

Came of age to hunt a traditional deer camp in southern potter in 96, the tail end of herds of deer and people running around on opening day. 2 spikes hanging on the meat pole next to a wide 4 pt. And everyone was happy. Doe season was a dirty word.
Fast forward 20 yrs. Bear Season opener is the new opening day up there. The pressure makes all the deer seek cover and warn them there are people in the woods. I've seen every year for the past 15+. With doe tags and limited time off I haven't hunted an opening day up there in 7 yrs. It just doesn't make sense to use my limited resources( time and money) to go up and not include a saturday. It's still an "opening day" for me, but nothing beat the excitement of being in camp with 15 people, getting cancer from inhaling to much cigarette smoke, growing up to fast with the adult reading material everywhere, and learning a whole new vocabulary. Haha
post #10 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:43 AM
New Arrival

I live right next to Lyman Run. You'd a never guessed it was opening weekend of buck season Saturday night. Wonder Bar in Galeton was empty. Permastone was empty. The dump restaurant in the plaza was empty. Town was dead. Monday I heard three shots. Camps were empty. Things sure have changed. Its not that there are no deer. There are plenty of deer. Folks just aren't coming to hunt.
bigguy54, PA boxcall and kswiggy like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page