4Likes
  • 1 Post By tundragriz
  • 1 Post By BCozhunter
  • 2 Post By huntinlandscaper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bummed, end of an era.

Went to the farm I've hunted just about every opening day for over 20 years. Past couple years, when the 2 son's officially took ownership of the property (they had long been running the business), they have been requiring everyone to sign a waiver form and give their vehicle description and plate #. No big deal and I usually took care of it early. This year it sorta slipped my mind until this past week. Planned to stop Friday but didn't get outta work in time. Went Saturday but one of the office employee's said lady (the one son's wife) I needed to see was out but come back Monday. Darn but this was my fault. Rather than just assume everything was good and hunt the early morning there before swinging by the office to sign my waiver I wasn't in the woods for the opener but instead stopped by the office as soon as they opened. Well, I sure was dismayed to be politely told "I'm sorry but we've closed the farm to outsiders for hunting." Felt like a punch in the gut. I had a feeling things were headed this way, last 2 or 3 years one of the guests was a problem. Jerk ruined it for everyone. I'm going to miss morning's in my favorite spot overlooking the hollow. My last deer on that farm was my 8 pointer last year.

I guess early next year it's time to look to gain permission on a farm closer to my home (this farm was near my dad's, where I grew up.)

Last edited by RyanR; 11-27-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:12 PM

Ya that happens more and more these days. Sorry to hear of the misfortune.

Maybe seek permissions on several farms and check them all out. Options can lead to more harvests. Good luck.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Sage

And now you have seen the future of hunting in Pennsylvania.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 PM

Find a decent game lands and you’ll never have to worry
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:03 PM

I’m trying to post pics of my Monday am buck, won’t load. But this is my 16th buck in pa, in 17 years hunting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F87D2AF2-5120-4F53-8912-990EE6E6F9E8_1511841723293.jpg (1.72 MB, 48 views)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Went to the farm I've hunted just about every opening day for over 20 years...
May not be a loss if it is a place you want to continue to hunt, you probably know the property very well. Every landowner has more projects than they can complete in a year, cutting firewood, improving stream crossings, fixing a bridge, controlling invasives, planting seedlings, fences, wildlife enhancements, etc. There is a big difference in attitude for someone that just wants to hunt your property gratis vs. someone that cares enough about the property to help the landowner. A few weekends a year could ensure a very good relationship with the owner.
Years ago I had exclusive hunting rights along with my wife to a 225ac. property because I would go out and cut firewood with the owner. Together we'd cut down the wood, load it on a trailer, and unload it at his place, a few weekends. Just depends how much you want it.
OAWC likes this.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz View Post
May not be a loss if it is a place you want to continue to hunt, you probably know the property very well. Every landowner has more projects than they can complete in a year, cutting firewood, improving stream crossings, fixing a bridge, controlling invasives, planting seedlings, fences, wildlife enhancements, etc. There is a big difference in attitude for someone that just wants to hunt your property gratis vs. someone that cares enough about the property to help the landowner. A few weekends a year could ensure a very good relationship with the owner.
Years ago I had exclusive hunting rights along with my wife to a 225ac. property because I would go out and cut firewood with the owner. Together we'd cut down the wood, load it on a trailer, and unload it at his place, a few weekends. Just depends how much you want it.
^^This^^

Maybe wait until the seasons are over and then stop by and talk with them. Once they see that you weren't part of the problems they saw, and that you're willing to help them with chores, they might give limited access.
I think it's worth the effort to try.
OAWC likes this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
And now you have seen the future of hunting in Pennsylvania.

I really can't agree with this statement.

For instance, my son got permission to hunt two new farms this year. He did all of the things that we have always been taught to do. Approach the landowner with respect, dress appropriately, respect the land, share the harvest, etc. I fully expect him to be able to hunt those properties again next year.

He also went and found the adjacent landowner and got permission before tracking a buck that he hit, (and we found).

With that said, I do expect PA's future to change. Smaller subdivisions and "farm-ettes" are more suited to the bow as a weapon than a high powered rifle. You may need to ask more landowners and hunt smaller patches, but there are still people who will generously allow you to hunt their ground.....you just have to work harder to find them.

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”

Last edited by Takemrarely; 11-28-2017 at 05:11 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:02 AM

I agree with takemrarely. I hunt mainly these small acreage homesteads and farmettes and started with permission on 2 that are landscaping customers of mine but now have many. What has really surprised me is that I have actually had people call me and ask if I was interested in hunting thier properties. These have been friends/family of people whose land I hunt and do the things mentioned above...treat land respectfully etc. Often times they mention something to one of my landowners about deer damage, overpopulation etc and my person says "hey I have a good guy you should talk to. Word of mouth can be a powerful thing.
BCozhunter and OAWC like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page