• 1 Post By Pops423
  • 1 Post By Fairchild #17
  • 1 Post By Muzz
  • 4 Post By shade mt
  • 2 Post By CMP70306

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

How times have changed... For the better.

Now that I'm 35 I'm starting to know when to care and when to not give a da*n. Meaningless things have become just that, but I never realized it till this morning walking to my treestand. I remember years ago seeing a shooting star and praying to kill a big buck, but just this morning I saw one and instantly, without hesitation, I prayed for my kids to stay healthy. Times have changed and I will take it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Couldn't agree more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

So true. Life changes and it's good to see you get that. I'm the same way, I 'hunt' now for time away and peace and quiet. I find myself 20 feet closer to GOD and asking for unselfish things I never would have dreamed of years ago.

Best of luck to you this season.
Hungry Horse likes this.

Mathews Heli-M
Trophy Ridge Joker 3 Pin
QAD Ultra Rest
Soft Loc Quiver
Easton Axis 400
Rage Chisel tip
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I headed to my cabin alone last night for some silence and solitude before the morning.
I wasn't down the road 10 minutes before I thought how much I was going to miss my three little kids and kissing them good night.
Hungry Horse likes this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:30 PM

You are becoming wise, grasshopper.
jimsdad likes this.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:05 AM

I killed my first buck at the age of 12, doe at 13 then a buck every year till I was 19 Got married that year. Had a son at the age of 20. During my 20's I hunted hard killed a buck about every year, but had 4 more kids totaling 5.

By the time I was in my early 30's my kids were coming of age to hunt. Things changed for me then, I still got a few days in hunting alone while they were in school, but most of my time outdoors was centered around them , teaching, mentoring and enjoying and sharing "their" success.

Years passed on they turned 16 and began hunting on their own, they all became avid successful hunters, but although I now was hunting alone again, my focus, my joy, my prayers still centered around them.

Yesterday my oldest daughter hunted with me, She had taken some time off from hunting to have a child, a beautiful baby girl. Her husband had gotten a buck in archery so he was babysitting.

When my daughter was 12 I had toted a sleeping bag strapped to my backpack, I tucked her down in it covering her from the waist down to keep her warm while on stand. She killed a deer that year.

Yesterday when she arrived at our home I had a sleeping bag ready once again, she smiled when she saw it and assured me..."dad I won't need it i'll be ok" Our hike up the mt reminded me of old times...good times, and I once again found myself carrying two packs and gear (like an old pack mule).

Things have changed since they were young, we now have 3 grandchildren, and with the advent of modern cell phones we can communicate during our hunt, provided we have service.

But the biggest and best change is that now my world is no longer about me, I will be hunting alone this morning, but my heart, thoughts and prayers while I sit high up on the mt.......Will be with my family.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

I completely agree, when my dad was younger every year he would get at least one deer and would many times completely tag out because of the way he hunted in our group. However for the last 12 years he has instead been focused on getting either me or my brother a deer. He passed up numerous bucks so that we could shoot and when we were old enough to sit by ourselves he would drive the deer towards us. He gave up productive deer stands so we could sit there, sometimes walking 5+ miles in a day on deer drives and generally doing everything he could to make sure we got something.

In doing so he would sometimes get deer but not every year, in fact the last buck he killed was 13 years ago. He only shot it because he tried for a full minute get me to wake up and ended up shooting it 10ft off the property line on our side.

There is a spot on our property that he had been wanting to hunt for over a decade but by putting us first he never got a chance to set up and stand there. We decided that this was the year he would get to hunt there and spent the majority of Saturday helping him set up his stand and cutting shooting lanes. We put a new scope on his rifle, I handloaded some ammo for him and made sure his rifle was shooting true. This was the year that me and my brother made sure our dad would have his best chance at a buck on opening day.

He tagged his largest buck ever at 8:30 yesterday morning, followed by me tagging my largest buck at 9:22 and my brother tagging a nice 8 point at 10:00.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3256_1511875355943.jpg (1.83 MB, 20 views)
Bull and OAWC like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

6 year old has been asking to go for walks in the woods with me. I figure there's a small window in time and if I let if pass, she'll loose interest, so I'll be off to the store for little girl hiking boots.

It's a good spot. Just not today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page