Texas whitetail hunts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pappybear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Texas whitetail hunts

I am planning on doing a texas witetail hunt in texas any suggestions on where to hunt anyone hunt with a outfitter or ranch

one shot! one kill!
Mathews Halon
Bsneaky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:07 PM
The Man

I did it once and had a good hunt, but that outfitter is no longer in business. It was a low fence hunt near San Angelo. We saw a ton of deer including lots of bucks; I saw 22 bucks. I took two; an average 8 point and a darn good 8 point and if I'd been more patient I'd have killed a second very good one. My buddy John didn't kill anything as he didn't see one that met his expectations.

There are so many outfitters in Texas. You need to decide a couple of things first. High fence or fair chase (low fence)? Brush country (south), Hill country (east central), or Desert country (west). Many outfits have antler restrictions, some don't. Do you want hogs or havalina available in case you kill your deer early? Contrary to what it may seem, those critters are not everywhere in the state. Prices run from reasonable to very expensive.

If you decide on a low fence hunt without restrictions, I've heard a lot of good things about Adobe Lodge. My friend Muttleysgone has hunted with them and had only good things to say about them. They are priced reasonably as well.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 05:27 AM

You will get spoiled, nothing beats low-fence deer hunting in Texas. PM sent.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Hunted Adobe Lodge about 10 years ago.I had a great time,saw lots of deer.I took a nice 9 point,3 doe and a Bobcat. At that time they were top notch outfitter.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Been there twice but my main interest was hunting exotics (aoudad and axis) on a combo hunt in the spring with turkeys. Wife and I flew into San Antonio, spent a couple days there and drove out to the ranch (Rafter W Ranches), approx. 2hrs. Ranch I hunted is setup primarily for whitetail hunting with high and low fence hunting, trophy, management hunts, does. Whitetails hunts start end of Sept. and run thru beginning of Jan. They offer 22k acres of free range guided/semi-guided hunts. I met them in Harrisburg at the outdoor show and liked what I saw and heard. I could also shoot pigs, bobcats, and coyotes for free if we saw them. I did shoot a couple of pigs. It was a fun hunt and I'll go back again, probably for another axis, they are fantastic table fare.

Another option: Check out the Texas Hunting Forum. Spend some time on there, lots of good info. Like said.....it's a big state with good opportunities all over. Good luck with your decision!!

NRA endowment life member
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 11:53 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeHunting View Post
Been there twice but my main interest was hunting exotics (aoudad and axis) on a combo hunt in the spring with turkeys. Wife and I flew into San Antonio, spent a couple days there and drove out to the ranch (Rafter W Ranches), approx. 2hrs. Ranch I hunted is setup primarily for whitetail hunting with high and low fence hunting, trophy, management hunts, does. Whitetails hunts start end of Sept. and run thru beginning of Jan. They offer 22k acres of free range guided/semi-guided hunts. I met them in Harrisburg at the outdoor show and liked what I saw and heard. I could also shoot pigs, bobcats, and coyotes for free if we saw them. I did shoot a couple of pigs. It was a fun hunt and I'll go back again, probably for another axis, they are fantastic table fare.

Another option: Check out the Texas Hunting Forum. Spend some time on there, lots of good info. Like said.....it's a big state with good opportunities all over. Good luck with your decision!!
Rather,

I assume the exotics are also free range? Any other species other than axis and aoudad?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Advise from HPA members who have hunted with a good Texas Outfitter is a great place to start.
If you want to do some additional research, the Texas Hunting Forum, Outfitters/Guides forums are a good place to look. The Forum has plenty of hunters that will gladly point out both the good and bad Outfitters operating throughout the state. Texas has a wide variety of terrain and game opportunities.
Trophy hunts generally are high priced. They usually charge by the inch, but you can find some reasonably priced hunts as well. Be aware! Texas has its share of rip off artists and hunters on the Forum arenít bashful about calling them out.
Uncle Nicky likes this.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 06:01 PM

X2 on Texas Hunting Forum, Bunch of great people who will tell you the truth about the good and bad like pappybear said. I have been on there for about 4 years now. Find an outfitter, mention it on the Forum and BAM, You will know in seconds ya or nay. Good Luck to you.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Rather,

I assume the exotics are also free range? Any other species other than axis and aoudad?
loridr,

Aoudad was free range(low fence) Axis is in their high fence area (think it was 5500-6000acres) They also offer blackbuck antelope and javelina. I liked the idea of hunting Rio's as a combo. I did my trips in March but hear the best Axis hunting is June, July, and August when they are in the rut. My wife went along on both trips and would go along out most afternoons, I was on my own in the mornings. I'm planning to retire March of 2019 and it's on my list to go back. They have a booth at the Harrisburg show same isle as Lily Pond just a few booths away.

NRA endowment life member
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 08:43 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeHunting View Post
loridr,

Aoudad was free range(low fence) Axis is in their high fence area (think it was 5500-6000acres) They also offer blackbuck antelope and javelina. I liked the idea of hunting Rio's as a combo. I did my trips in March but hear the best Axis hunting is June, July, and August when they are in the rut. My wife went along on both trips and would go along out most afternoons, I was on my own in the mornings. I'm planning to retire March of 2019 and it's on my list to go back. They have a booth at the Harrisburg show same isle as Lily Pond just a few booths away.
Thanks, I'll check em out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page