Buses,vans,and other camps - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Buses,vans,and other camps

WAY long ago as a kid going upstate I remember seeing old buses,Bakery trucks,trailers,campers,etc used for camps.I miss going up in dads 56' truck.
When you guy head up if you see any of those old style camps,take a pic and post it for us old timers!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm live up here in Forest County and on Guitonville Road off of Nebraska Rd before you go down the hill to the game lands range on the left hand side a little past Fawn Acres there's a back end of a bus that has been built onto and is a camp. I have no clue how to do the picture thing but guys that have camps up here have to know the place I'm talking about. Hopefully one of our members can take a picture and post it. It looks pretty old and beat up. I'm not even sure if anyone goes there anymore but I would love to know the history of that place and it's original crew.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Banned

All you have to do is look on Craig's list, and you will find tons of old RV's and trailers that are being sold real cheap. Most are listed as "good for hunting camp". Most all are water damaged and need gutting and rebuilding, but are otherwise intact. Buy one, put a few bills into some new walls and a few 2x4 bunk frames, a small wood burning stove, and a hole in the ground to poop in and there you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Where i'm at in the Adirondacks we see the occasional school bus or truck body that was a camp at one time, but unless you hire a local to keep an eye on things and to shovel off the roof mobile homes don't last very long with our heavy snow loads

MAGA 2020
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 08:24 AM

I was very close to 'building' my camp out of either a tractor trailer or a couple of shipping containers. Then I figured out the Amish build sheds for super cheap.....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 08:03 PM

When I bought my camp near Tionesta, there was the main wood frame camp and 2 buses and a half-a-bus, the guy worked for the Port Authority in Pittsburgh and he would drag these old buses up when they were worn out. The motor from one was laying on the ground in front of the one for years, and he also had a 64 Ford Falcon that was wrecked and parked by the one bus for nearly 30 years. There was also the backend or half a bus that was used as a camp. In 2004, before scrap went up in price, I ended up paying a guy to cut the busses up and haul away. In the main camp we found over 70 bottles of whiskey and vodka, so I imagine a good time was had by all over the years from 1952 to 2004 when I purchased the place. There is an old bus (circa 1960's) on the property next to me that the owners have added an addition onto and they still use. The Good Old Days of Camping and Roughing It.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 08:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem760 View Post
When I bought my camp near Tionesta, there was the main wood frame camp and 2 buses and a half-a-bus, the guy worked for the Port Authority in Pittsburgh and he would drag these old buses up when they were worn out. The motor from one was laying on the ground in front of the one for years, and he also had a 64 Ford Falcon that was wrecked and parked by the one bus for nearly 30 years. There was also the backend or half a bus that was used as a camp. In 2004, before scrap went up in price, I ended up paying a guy to cut the busses up and haul away. In the main camp we found over 70 bottles of whiskey and vodka, so I imagine a good time was had by all over the years from 1952 to 2004 when I purchased the place. There is an old bus (circa 1960's) on the property next to me that the owners have added an addition onto and they still use. The Good Old Days of Camping and Roughing It.
Yeah your right Tim. I don't know how I forgot to mention your neighbors red bus camp next to yours, seeing that I'm up there every other week cutting his grass and yours. Lol! That place is about on its last leg if they don't dump some money into it!

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!

Last edited by GermanHillHunter; 11-15-2017 at 08:41 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage

Can remember old camp buses back in the 50s and 60s in several parts of Potter County, but most are long gone now, after rusting away for many decades. Some of them were of 30s and 40s vintage. There was an old brown school bus down near Frome Acres along Rt. 6 for years. Think that one was removed a few years ago, if not mistaken?

One of the farmers near our camp, used to pull an old school bus out on the top of one of his hay fields each fall, for buck and doe seasons. First few years he drove it up there, then pulled it up with a tractor. Had a small stove in it, pipe poked out of a window where he'd replaced the glass with a piece of steel.

Back then that farmer and his son both had school bus routes and that was a bus he'd replaced with a newer one. Asked him why he'd started pulling it up with a tractor, said he'd sold the engine out of it. It was out there early enough in the fall, that after a bit deer got used to it, yeller paint and all.

I came back in from hunting one evening and his pickup was parked over there well after dark. My bud said he'd looked thru his spotting scope on the porch and ol' Bob was sitting in a bus seat, leaning up against a window, sound asleep.

Eventually another truck came out in the field. Was his son checking on him, woke him up and sent him home.

Hungry Horse likes this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

High School bud's dad and uncles built up an old Dodge School Bus, mid 60's they used to drive it to Potter and later Bear Creek before retiring it at his dad's place and using a converted job site trailer.

I got to ride along on the last trip up to the property, maybe 8th grade, '67 or '68

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Here's a few. The close up of the green bus is a camp up on the hill in Conrad, Potter County. There's two guys that still use it every "buck" season. The snow photo shows the bus that was the original camp where I used to hunt just down the road from Conrad. The old guys said they drove it up in the 50s and left it there after finding some ground to lease. After the permanent camp was built, four guys would still squeeze into that bus every "buck" season all the way through the 90s. Ya have to walk around in both of those buses with your head tilted down because the ceilings are so low on them. That alone would drive me crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7250.jpg (1.37 MB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3539 - Copy.jpg (782.2 KB, 35 views)

Do your Sportin' in Wharton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page