Rut ends when? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Rut ends when?

So it seems that the more I hunt, the more my wife tasks me to do things and go places. I usually hunt Saturday's because that's the only real day I can devote to getting in the woods and relaxing with what I enjoy. This past Saturday (04Nov2017) I was out in the morning with my brother-in-law and I saw 3 buck walk in a line about 4-5 minutes apart from each other. A doe followed after the last one passed about 5-10 after. Too far for a shot so I hoped they would turn back around. Gave them a spray or urine in the air, bleated on the call hoping they would show some interest but nothing. I was irked because I knew I only had the morning that day. Night time was a light lantern festival which was nice with the family but it didn't give me meat in the freezer. My little brother-in-law stayed by the house to hunt the evening and I got a call that he saw a few buck close to the stand but didn't get an opportunity to take a shot on them. Long story or question short. How much more time to I have this week/month until the rut ends and the bucks get some sense in their skulls? I like that I see a lot of buck in the woods by me but I know that once the hormones level out, they will stay hiding in the woods until well after nightfall which lowers my chances of getting one.

Thanks
punxsyyote and bunny buster like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Regular Visitor

In my area i see way more activity the last week of archery than the second to last. To me the end of the week look prime with cold coming through, Wet, Damp, Cold says to me rutting bucks like crazy. I think the statistics say most doe are bread from he 4th-9th of November give or take a few days. Around 28 days after the does first cycle they come back in heat if they arent bread, so the middle of riffle there is a "second rut".
WhiteWalker83 likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 04:56 PM

I have killed a couple bucks on Veterans Day and I'm sure others have too. It ain't over yet, get your chores done during the week and get out there Saturday.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 07:06 PM

Right up till opening day, then everything goes crazy
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 07:08 PM

farmer i help out, saw a buck chasing a doe February or march earlier this year. i can't remember exactly but i know it was LATE.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:36 PM

When is going to start?
JasonN likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Lots of doe's down in our corner of state, the bucks might try, but they cant breed em all. Not even close to what I've seen. I've seen Rut activity in January close to what its like in November. It's the doe's that control when the bucks hormones level out lol.. Lot's of Saturdays left to get out.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
farmer i help out, saw a buck chasing a doe February or march earlier this year. i can't remember exactly but i know it was LATE.
Or maybe he was really EARLY.
bohunr likes this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 06:40 AM

I see seeking and chasing activity start to die down and bucks getting back resting and feeding around the week of Thanksgiving. That said, doe fawns especially are often bred in December and that can make things nuts locally if you luck into a hot one. What I wouldn't give for our archery season to last two more weeks. Whereas the young bucks get excited early, mature bucks seem to really kick it into high gear just as our season goes out.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 AM
The Man

The rut ends when the last bucks and does stop getting the urge. There is no date or set time. Nature decides. I have read reports where people have observed deer mating as late as January. I have seen small spotted fawns in August so I can only assume they were conceived much later than expected.
bigguy54 likes this.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page