Shoulder shot? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Shoulder shot?

Hey guys, first post in the forum so please let me know if I do something wrong. I've been archery hunting, going on my 3rd year now. I love this type of hunting as it opens the seasons up more and it's not a guarantee. So the other week, I took a shot at a younger buck, 6pt. He was hot in the trail of a doe about 20 mins after the sun came up. I shot low with the first shot. He didn't see me so he walked to my right then turned around to look for the doe when I took a second shot. He was standing broadside and he seemed to not even be fazed by the second shot. Did I miss? I see a small amount of blood running down his front left leg but not enough to say it's a confirmed hit. It seemed to come from just under the pit area. He hopped off into the woods after looking around for a few seconds. I decided to take a look for my arrows since I saw one and was running low in the quiver. When I went down, I noticed some blood on the leaf by the second shot. Did I actually get him? Was it a grazing wound or a legit shot? I found the arrow from my first shot and the 2nd. The arrow on the second had the tip of the arrow broken off but the shaft of the arrow was perfectly fine. No blood along the shaft either which had me a bit perplexed. I saw the deer about an hour later, moving slowly but without a limp or signs of fatigue about 75-100 yards from me, no doe in sight. I waited about 2 hours total and decided to take a look around to see if it dropped. Blood looked a little promising at first but faded quickly. About 75 yards away it was one drop of blood and nothing else to follow up to that point. I was disappointed but in a way relieved that the deer had a chance to survive, I hope, so I can see it again during the season. Does anyone think that the deer was critically wounded and would this most likely have been a shoulder shot? The tip of the arrow was broken but no blood on the shaft or "feathers." The minimal blood and the fact I saw him still moving about an hour after shooting had be think he was doing just fine.

What bothers me is 1) I didn't get him and 2) I would have wounded a deer to only have him die later? Sadly, I already had an incident where I took a shot, ended up being a gut shot and never found the deer after 2 days of searching. I didn't want this to happen again. I know that i'm still relatively new to this and calming down before I take my shot is being worked on. Hopefully I can still fill the freezer before the rut ends or the season ends. I'm in 5D hunting on private land so I have until January i think. I look forward to hearing feedback good or bad to help pick up some pointers and hear others stories. ***How do I post pics on this forum or does that come with time?***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

a few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171028_0823022.jpg (1.80 MB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171028_1021354.jpg (2.01 MB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171028_1022198.jpg (1.26 MB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171028_0823129.jpg (1.31 MB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171028_1021227.jpg (1.38 MB, 60 views)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 12:00 PM

From your description, I'd be pretty sure you didn't hit his shoulder. Because of denser muscle and bone, a shoulder hit deer usually reacts when hit, sometimes the energy of the arrow " pushes" the deer sideways. There is almost alway a crack sound when the arrow impacts. And many times the arrow doesn't completely pass through.

My guess is you caught the bottom of the brisket. That usually leaves some hair. A deer would most certainly survive a hit there. Further back, your into the belly. Odds of survival to a deer hit there....not so good. Almost always fatal.
SlickShot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 12:12 PM

From what I read into your story, probably that buck will live,You never said how far the shot was taken from. You may have hit the brisket or just grazed him. Was there any white hair on the ground ,that would be an indication of possibly a low hit..You may still see that buck again....Let me tell you my story, maybe it will ease your pain....

I hit a nice 9pt one time in the neck, found my arrow broken and blood on it, trailed it for about 80 yds and lost the blood trail.I felt really bad that I did not recover that buck, I was sure he would not survive,6 weeks later on the last Friday of rifle season my buddy shot that buck. It had my broken arrow stilled lodged in his neck, my friend cut his finger on it when he reached up in there to cut the windpipe.It is mounted on his wall in his game room with the bump still in it`s neck......

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShot View Post
From what I read into your story, probably that buck will live,You never said how far the shot was taken from. You may have hit the brisket or just grazed him. Was there any white hair on the ground ,that would be an indication of possibly a low hit..You may still see that buck again....Let me tell you my story, maybe it will ease your pain....

I hit a nice 9pt one time in the neck, found my arrow broken and blood on it, trailed it for about 80 yds and lost the blood trail.I felt really bad that I did not recover that buck, I was sure he would not survive,6 weeks later on the last Friday of rifle season my buddy shot that buck. It had my broken arrow stilled lodged in his neck, my friend cut his finger on it when he reached up in there to cut the windpipe.It is mounted on his wall in his game room with the bump still in it`s neck......

That's funny and sad all at once. At least you got to see where it went and have a story to talk about with it. I hope that it comes back around and to the question, there was no hair left in the area. The shot was around 25 yds I'm guessing. I admit that I shot a hair early thinking it was about to get spooked. My stupidity but my eye was really on the 10 pt i saw around on the cam. He only comes around at about 1130 at night though which is disappointing. The rut makes them doing crazy stuff though.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MFDC2096.jpg (614.7 KB, 21 views)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would advise getting a rangefinder and then there won't be any more "I think it was about 25 yrds.". Range trees and land marks once in your stand and if time allows the actual deer. You can shoot a lot more confidently when you know how far.
.257 and WhiteWalker83 like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asajoe1 View Post
I would advise getting a rangefinder and then there won't be any more "I think it was about 25 yrds.". Range trees and land marks once in your stand and if time allows the actual deer. You can shoot a lot more confidently when you know how far.
Like he said. I know it happens and people do shoot deer that cannot be recovered and i am not being rude when i say this but my suggestion would be to practice shooting as much as you can. Sounds like the buck should recover from his wounds. Good luck the rest of the season.

4B
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:18 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I'd also suggest, if you haven't already.....get illuminated nocks. They really make it a lot more clear where your shot went. It's very, very visible as to where the arrow landed.

And...when you get that pass-through double lunger...... it's pretty cool to watch the lit nock streak to the target, blink off when it's inside the deer, and then re-emerge. I shot my buck last fall at the very start of shooting hours that day, and it was like a tracer round from a war movie......was startling to see in the dim light, actually.

Best of luck...
octagon and WhiteWalker83 like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Part of the Community

agree 100 percent with tdd . switched to illuminated nocks 2 years ago and love them. arrows can tell the story on a marginal hit.
WhiteWalker83 likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I'll have to check them out. Always saw them but never used them, possibly because my brother and law and I had our own idea for an arrow system ha ha. Are they expensive? For the range finder, I agree one might be useful in a new hunting area but I have a good idea on the distances there based on the tee locations. I'm just not sure the exact measurement lol.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page