Colorado Elk Hunt 3rd rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Colorado Elk Hunt 3rd rifle

Anyone driving out to western Colorado/Montrose area in the next few weeks? I am flying out and was checking all sources to see if anyone would be willing to drive antlers home (if I get lucky). Of course I would be willing to compensate.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Can't help here but we were in the area for first rifle. Where are you going and do you have a guide?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Hunting unit 043. No outfitter. A good friend of mine lives out there so he'll be my guide for the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 07:23 AM
The Man

Let us know how it worked for you. From 08-12 I hunted 3rd season in that area. Units 51 , 420, and 62. Let me know also on mule deer thinking of going back next year.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunted unit 43 during the muzzle-loader season this year in early Sept (North Thompson/Middle Thompson/Wolf Creek area). It was hot and there was no rut activity to speak of. Lots of bears down low, as I believe it was a dry summer and there was not much in the way of food for them at high elevations. I also found that most of the parks/meadows I have hunted in years past were not lush with grasses, so the elk were spending more time in the aspen groves where the grasses were more abundant. Good luck - curious to hear how you make out.

There is an outfit in unit 42 ("JT Horses" I think) that does transportation of heads/mounts and meat via truck across the country that I used a couple of years ago when my dad and I both shot bulls in Arizona - they picked up our two european mounts from our taxidermist near Flagstaff, and delivered them to my door in PA for ~$600. It was half the cost of every other estimate I got.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

dscott - where did you go this year? I spend some mule deer points in CO and took a decent mulie in Unit 55. Of course the year I put in for a tag, they have a massive winter kill and drop the deer numbers by almost 80%! Still, I was back out in the high country and not in the office!

Joe Y

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:34 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Y View Post
dscott - where did you go this year? I spend some mule deer points in CO and took a decent mulie in Unit 55. Of course the year I put in for a tag, they have a massive winter kill and drop the deer numbers by almost 80%! Still, I was back out in the high country and not in the office!

Joe Y
I currently have 6 should I blow them next year in 52 or look at another unit, want to go next year or year after.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hey outofstater - I didn't hunt 52, I hunted 55. If you wanted to hunt 55, you MAY have a chance of drawing for mule deer using a bow only, not muzzleloader as it takes a lot of points. Don't know anything about rifle hunting in that unit.

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:04 PM
The Man

Okay, thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page