Electric bike usage during archery season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Electric bike usage during archery season

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if it's legal to use an electric bike during the archery season? I haven't been able to find the information on the game commission site, so that's why I'm asking here.

I was looking to be able to stretch out the distance I can travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:35 PM

On gamelands? Or Private land?
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Gameland...I saw a thread from last year 2016 stating that on gameland it's a no go. PA has some stupid laws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:52 PM

It is not legal to use any motorize vehicles on game lands or most other public land. So a motorized bike would not be legal.

Dick Bodenhorn
bohunr and Marcus99 like this.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:56 PM

yeah that's a no go. electric doesn't matter, people would be trying to drive around in tesla's and electric golf carts.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 AM
Part of the Community

I think the word motorized needs to be taken away , and use pedal assisted instead. As long as it is under 750 watts it is not considered a motorized vehicle by Pa. standards . It must have pedals so golf carts and the same would be out. Look it up under Pa Dept of Transportation laws . A big gray area here that is all on the wording of the law and the vehicle .
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie K View Post
I think the word motorized needs to be taken away , and use pedal assisted instead. As long as it is under 750 watts it is not considered a motorized vehicle by Pa. standards . It must have pedals so golf carts and the same would be out. Look it up under Pa Dept of Transportation laws . A big gray area here that is all on the wording of the law and the vehicle .

Interesting. Since off road electric bikes are gaining popularity for hunting it would be interesting to see how the PGC looks at this? Wonder if the PGC has its own definition of motorized vehicle or do they defer to state definition?

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Last edited by dpms; 10-26-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie K View Post
This is correct unfortunately, it is still not legal on Game Lands and DCNR property. I do think this can and will change at some point though.
stackbarrel likes this.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:09 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Interesting. Since off road electric bikes are gaining popularity for hunting it would be interesting to see how the PGC looks at this? Wonder if the PGC has its own definition of motorized vehicle or do they defer to state definition?
If they would differ to the state then I would think these would be legal on game lands.
stackbarrel likes this.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhunter View Post
This is correct unfortunately, it is still not legal on Game Lands and DCNR property. I do think this can and will change at some point though.

If electric bikes are not considered motorized vehicles by DOT, why are they illegal on SGLs? Does the PGC have its own definition of what a motorized vehicle is? Don't know just asking.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in