CWD Testing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

CWD Testing

I submitted a buck last weekend for testing at a drop off bin. (I feed my family venison and I want peace of mind) I have yet heard anything or had any results. The deer is processed and is in my freezer. Another question I wonder...If the deer does test positive, is my processing equipment, garage, and even myself contaminated? These prions can not be destroyed by bleach or any other cleaning method? Would the prions be on clothes or my skin? Reasearch has shown that the prions can be found in the muscle, spine, glands, brain...etc... Am I over thinking? Kinda crazy. The wild deer they found in zone 3 was within few miles of my house where I hunt.

Mathews
G5 T3
2D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

HI Mat

I don't think you are. If I recall heat is the only way to kill CWD and Mad Cow. Its was some type of protein ?? and at a cellular level and If I'm thinking right something along the lines of bonding of the cells. Best they can come up with here again if I recall is that these are from farm animals eating tankage. Tankage is like dog food made from extra unusable parts and items from slaughtering or packing plants. Basically they made a dog food and feed it to livestock. So they for the $$, feed unnatural items to a animal, and after a few generations we find these diseases. Been about 10 years since I have spent the time studying all of the things, and any other sickness that were common about most thing farm animals can get.

Most people think deer are like goats in many ways they are but many ways there not.

Look at Liver, and other organs see if the color of them look right. Brain and spine, look for things that maybe different or odd. Color of fat ? Over the years cutting meat (deer) we saw some deer that just looked different, they felt okay and smelled okay, but fat was a funny color and they were all muscle fat was like a yellow/orange ?? .

Looks like crap, smell like crap must be crap.

Some of the latest bugs, pests, diseases or not going to be killed by cooking them. Takes 800 plus to kill the protein bond for mad cow.

Best I can tell anyone is read and study. Read allot from Europe and Middle East, Asia as some of these are out of the control of the huge companies here in the US. I would start by UK and Germany. Funny thing about UK in some King long ago was an herbalist, and past laws to protect there usage and study, thus make it illegal to try to limit its usage. So they along with eastern medicine are on a more natural way of thinking. In Germany the health system usage of herbs is right there along with so call modern medicine.

I like to eat meat but a lot of ?? out there.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:52 AM

I would expect results in the order of months, not weeks. Especially as we get toward rifle season. As I understand it is an involved process in a lab with techy equipment, not some quick litmus test anyone can do.

I just take a risk based approach as far as the prions are concerned. The solution to pollution is dilution, as they say. I guess here you have to look at similarly, how concentrated are these prions?

For example..

Eating brain/spinal column of an infected deer = asking for it.

Eating infected muscle (and invariably lymphatic and nervous tissue within) = playing with fire.

Secondary contact with home butchering equipment = I'll take my chances there.

There is speculation and mounting evidence that prions may play a role in far more neuro degenerative/dementia diseases than we ever thought possible. My personal opinion is we encounter these prions regularly in this capacity. I don't think prions are a new development at all, just a new discovery scientists are only beginning to understand. I would postulate that our bodies probably have some way of fighting them off when faced with limited exposure to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post

There is speculation and mounting evidence that prions may play a role in far more neuro degenerative/dementia diseases than we ever thought possible. My personal opinion is we encounter these prions regularly in this capacity. I don't think prions are a new development at all, just a new discovery scientists are only beginning to understand. I would postulate that our bodies probably have some way of fighting them off when faced with limited exposure to them.
I've thought this pretty much from the beginning as well. I don't think CWD ever didn't exist....we just didn't know what it was. A random dead deer here and there could be from anything type of thought. When it was really looked into the prion was believed to be the culprit. The thing is we still don't know if the prion causes the problem or is a symptom of the actual problem. Could be something else that causes the prion to mutate or be the way it is....or however that should be said. You find things you're looking for.....sometimes you stumble upon things you aren't looking for. The science behind this is basically reverse engineering. They've gotten from death from a disease back to the prion, but something causes that prion situation. We may, in time, find out it's as simple as an infected bug bite that some deer succumb to and others are resistant to. We don't know at this point.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:08 AM

The information I've read about CWD talks an awful lot about prions and transmission and testing but never seems to get to the 'why' of it all. So, at this point we know more than we did about it, but we still don't know a whole lot.

That's all I'm trying to convey in the last post.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I posted this question on another thread in the General Hunting forum but meant to post it to this thread (sorry moderators)...

I keep hearing that CWD is not detectable in the early stages. If you couple that with the fact that the disease has a long incubation period, makes you wonder how many deer that are still in the incubation period will test negative resulting in the hunter consuming meat from an infected animal. If that is the case, maybe the risks of consumption are less if the prions haven't fully manifested in the animal?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Part of the Community

I thought the turn around was around 2 weeks, so I guess you can let us know how accurate that claim is. I guess the days of getting a deer head mounted or a European mount is done for me and my family because our camp is in a cwd area where we do a majority of our hunting. I was reading on the cwd box at the game lands that they need the entire head to test it and you don't get head or antlers back. My question is, to save the antlers, how do you do it? Can I cut the skull plate with antlers attached because then you are disturbing the brain?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by punxsyyote View Post
I thought the turn around was around 2 weeks, so I guess you can let us know how accurate that claim is. I guess the days of getting a deer head mounted or a European mount is done for me and my family because our camp is in a cwd area where we do a majority of our hunting. I was reading on the cwd box at the game lands that they need the entire head to test it and you don't get head or antlers back. My question is, to save the antlers, how do you do it? Can I cut the skull plate with antlers attached because then you are disturbing the brain?
I would contact the testing facility directly. There is probably away you could get the deer tested and get the head back, but you will have to pay.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 09:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

FYI: Harvested a doe in 4A CWD area on Sept. 30, dropped off head at drop off location on Oct. 1.
Received results back today Oct. 30. No signs of CWD.

Courteous letter thanking me for participating and asked me to place an "X" on a enclosed topo of map in the township I harvested the doe in and return it in a self addressed postage paid envelope.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page