Deer herd ? Up or down ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Deer herd ? Up or down ?

What do you think of the size of our deer population . Is it going up or dropping ?
gogetter likes this.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 09:03 AM

You're going to get a million different answers to this and to be honest 90% of those answers are going to come from people who haven't put in near enough work to know what the deer herd is doing. Most folks have a trail camera or two out and haven't done much real scouting throughout the year/hunt the same exact spot they've hunted for 20 years. Those same people will be the ones crying that there aren't any deer left in PA.
bigbear and RGrizzzz like this.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 09:29 AM

We hunt right out of my buddy's cabin for rifle. I archery hunt, but not there, and only go rifle at his camp because it's tradition for us. Our lack of seeing deer is due to the fact that, it's a large tract of State Forest, all of the surrounding camps are no longer being used AND we don't do our homework for rifle. Although the neighboring camps all over the mountain surrounding us stopped being used right after the antlerless massacre of years past. We are seeing more deer so I think the population has definitely rebounded in our area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

If the 1980s were a 10 and the late 2000s were a 1, I would say we are between a 5 and a 7, depending on WMU. It's not going up or down now. It's staying the same with up and downs being yearly, not a long-term trend.

Not talking about Special Regs WMUs. More like 3B.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM

From my own personal observations in exactly ONE WMU and traveling between two opposing ends of it:

2F North (Warren/Forest....ANF) the herd is increasing. The habitat is better than it was 10-15 years ago. Hunting pressure is down. Logging might be up a tick. It's almost all public land and large tracts of timber.

2F South (Southern Forest/Northern Clarion) the herd is highly populated and stable. The habitat is the same as it always is. Hunting pressure is the same as well. This is largely private lands, farmlands, broken ag/woodlots. Logging is consistent and more frequent from property to property with plenty of habitat/food for everything to thrive.

These two areas couldn't be much more different, actually. I live in the north of 2F....I gladly drive an hour to southern 2F to hunt. Northern 2F was abysmal hunting for a decade+ while there was virtually no change in the southern end aside from the already bigger bucks getting bigger and more plentiful due to AR. HR has almost no affect in the southern end. HR decimated the northern end.

That said, I'm not even sure how so many deer survived in the northern end in the past....there was no understory, no food aside from mast crops, no cover to speak of and a deer behind every tree.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Part of the Community

I have hunted the area of Northern Cameron and Southern McKean since 1970.Are the numbers higher than when I started? No. (I don't want that many deer) .but they certainly are higher than the first couple of years after Gary Alt's scorched earth policy. The bucks are way nicer, the does are certainly much healthier. You can thank all the clear cuts and better browse for that, plus less hunters.
We have maintained around 40 camera's for the last few years, and it is truly amazing the quality of the herd. We hunt 99% on either game lands or state forest lands.
While things look much better than before, there are still area's that just don't seem to hold deer for some reason. If you walk through a hollow with a 5 day snow on the ground, and don't see sign, critters just not there.
But I like they way things are going in a least my slice of heaven.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:39 PM

About the same I guess. Same old song and dance. Too many deer in the suburbs, too few in the big woods. I think the majority of places are just about near where they should be.
Danesdad likes this.
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
About the same I guess. Same old song and dance. Too many deer in the suburbs, too few in the big woods. I think the majority of places are just about near where they should be.
Think about your statement for a second...Suburbs = smaller pockets of land, fewer places for the deer to congregate, big woods = larger tracts of land, food sources spread out, etc...

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 04:07 PM
The Man

3B- Sullivan/Bradford boarder. I'd say between 1-10 Id give it an 8.. Archery season for me personally id say 9!
bigguy54 and CROW MASTER like this.

Camp life,it don't get much better!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page