Potter County 3A - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Potter County 3A

Anyone hunt this area, state game land or private?

Just wondering activity and increase in population.

I know there's not much hunting pressure.

do the homework before the hunt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:13 AM

Since AR has taken a strong hold, you are now much better off learning the public ground the state has to offer north of I-80, if you want a quality experience and hunt. The southern counties, are hit hard, especially by the bowmen. Large buck are easier to pattern down here than the vast state land north of I-80, and thusly, don't tend to live as long as the cagey buck "up north". AR has created the opportunity to take "once in a lifetime" type buck in places like Potter County, at a level that the pre-AR era could never provide.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Fleroo you are really out there with your statements....Big Bucks were always present in NC...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313 View Post
Fleroo you are really out there with your statements....Big Bucks were always present in NC...

Ohhhhh malarkey. LOL. I'm not sure how old you are, but "big bucks" were totally uncommon pretty much prior to AR in the NC. A very nice buck consisted of 15"-16" inches, and those were something to behold. You got a nice one if you were able to run into a 15" 8 pt.

Now, of course there was always that ONE "token" buck that reached 20" that would be harvested. You know, that needle in the haystack buck.
Rattlinbucks and bigguy54 like this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

"Just wondering activity and increase in population. I know there's not much hunting pressure."

I live in Coudersport. I dont know where the "not much hunting pressure" comes from, unless you're talking way north Potter County. The first 10 miles north of Rt 6 has, and has always had, hunting pressure. With crossbow hunting allowed now, there's even an increase in hunters out during archery season i've noticed. That being said, the deer population is finally making a comeback. The worst was around 2005ish when Dr Alt called for the slaughter of the doe heard, and i remember one year going a week in between deer sightings, when a few years prior, before antler restrictions even came into effect, passing on basket 6 and 8 points. Coudersport is hunting camp area and always gets flooded, but if you stay way north, you should be alright.

"Ohhhhh malarkey. LOL. I'm not sure how old you are, but "big bucks" were totally uncommon pretty much prior to AR in the NC."

i've heard this, yet, I moved here prior to the antler restriction taking effect, and had no problems seeing nice bucks. my first year i took a 16" 10pt in archery, and that was one of 3 nice bucks i saw that year. subsequently i'd see an average of at least one nice buck- "a very nice buck consisted of 15"-16" inches" as you'd say- every year until around the aforementioned '05ish timeframe when the herd as a whole took a big hit. while i agree that AR has now made big bucks more common, i refuse to believe big bucks didnt exist here until AR came into effect. as mentioned, before AR came into effect, i was passing on basket racks knowing there was bigger around; i saw them while scouting and i saw them while hunting.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South872 View Post
while i agree that AR has now made big bucks more common, i refuse to believe big bucks didnt exist here until AR came into effect. as mentioned, before AR came into effect, i was passing on basket racks knowing there was bigger around; i saw them while scouting and i saw them while hunting.

Again, as all things are relative, I'm not sure what timeframe you refer to ? And yes, there always were those select few bucks, that most would consider "big", prior to AR. It's why I said there was always a "token" out there, just not very many "back then". It's nonsensical to think that the ratio of "big big" buck, hasn't dramatically, or exponentially increased since AR was implemented. It's no lie when you hear tales of herds of 30-40 deer being booted from mountain to mountain, and you'd look for that one 3" spike that may be in it. Not sure your age, or how long you've been in Coudy, but talk to the guys up there that were around hunting in the 60's, 70's, 80's.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 02:19 PM
dce
Sage

There's a night and day difference all across the northern tier.It's not even debatable.The taxidermist down the road from my house still has the spindly 12" 8point in his shop that was the biggest buck they got in in 1980.Today,he mounts around 400/yr and he'll get 50-60 that have spreads over 20".I'm far from a trophy hunter but I routinely pass bucks that I would have mounted 20 years ago.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If there are fewer big buck in a given area it would be because of HR not AR, but from what I have seen or have knowledge of in the NC there are big buck almost everywhere.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

"It's why I said there was always a "token" out there,"

you said <ONE "token" buck that reached 20">. i'm not talking about that one; i was referencing "A very nice buck consisted of 15"-16" inches, and those were something to behold." perhaps decades ago that was the case, but pre-antler restrictions, i was seeing at least one 15-16" 8-10pt a year, apparently as 'something to behold'.

now, dont get me wrong- i've been to plenty of guys houses that have lived here all their lives and yes, they have a wall full of 4-5 pointers and one basket rack 8 point. i have no doubts the average buck size was smaller around here, but those walls were also guys who weekend hunt and were/are the classic 'rifle deer hunter'. i am a mainly archery hunter, and in a 6 week season, putting in 50 hunts was the norm, so i was in the woods way more than the average hunter, plus i use to do a ton of scouting preseason. yes, the AR has made bigger and more nice bucks running around, but i wouldnt classify nice bucks as "totally uncommon pretty much prior to AR in the NC," thats all i'm saying. the only time i saw a bad period of bucks, was when they initially implemented AR in 2002 and handed doe tags out like candy, and made a HUGE dent in the Potter Co deer heard.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:36 PM
dce
Sage

All one has to do is look at the results of the Potter county big buck contest today and compare it to the results from the 80"s.My brother killed a 110" 8 point in 1986.People we didn't even know were stopping by all night to see it as word spread.
Laylow likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page