Old Timers hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Old Timers hunting

The informative responses from the Camp Counties Deer put some attention on "Old timers hunting" and started me to wondering what the old timers think/do.

First I wonder what constitutes and "Old timer." Disregarding health issues which can be a major issue at any age.

How old is an old timer?

Do older hunters decrease there hunting because they loose their desire. If so, what constitutes the loss of desire?

Are they putting less effort into the preparation and thus their success decreases and they give up or cut back on valuable time in the woods opting to sleep-in, come in earlier and earlier for lunch and leave later in the evening avoiding all day hunts?

Do they use there complaining regarding not seeing deer to cover up for their lack of effort and the desire to change to the ever changing conditions?

Do some of them loose the desire to Kill animals?

Would some rather setting around the campfire and retell the many success stories from the past then to create new stories?

Do they get more out of watching younger hunters put out the effort they once did?

If you are and "Old timer" or younger hunter, what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It always seemed to me that old timers would just be happy to still be able to get out in the woods a few times a year, regardless of whether they harvest or not. Just reminiscing about past hunts and trying to give advice to younger hunters...

But to me, the ones that complain the loudest and want the PGC to allow them to shoot any buck without antler restrictions and think that they are owned something for all the years that they have bought a license are the old timers!!!

It shocks me as I would think that the old timers, of all people, would care the least about harvesting a deer but they are the ones moaning the loudest every year.
fall gobbler and SRA-5C+ like this.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i'll be 56 in oct and have been hunting since 1979, would I be an old timer ??....

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
i'll be 56 in oct and have been hunting since 1979, would I be an old timer ??....

No.

...... well, unless you wear Woolrich when you hunt.
bob1961 likes this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 01:53 PM

I am 66 and have been hunting religiously since I got out of the NAVY in 72. Before enlistment I hunted a couple years prior.
Many of the original guys I hunted with passed, others lost the desire well before they lost the ability to hunt anymore for a variety of reasons. Some say it was a decline in game, others took up other hobbies {golf} and others just felt it wasn't worth the time and sitting out in the cold.
Till last season we had a guy hunt with us who was 86, but swears he is going this year and "sit a spell".
Lucky for me I have no health issues to limit my ability to get out and hunt as I want.

To me, the many changes hunting has undertaken in my lifetime have been for the positive in way of equipment, but not so much for the act of hunting.
Many places open to hunters no longer welcome our sport. I remember the first year I hunted deer up in McKean county [72], the rule was "if its not posted you can hunt" and you had to look hard for a POSTED sign.
Before AR many guys took spikes, yet that never seemed to hurt the deer population, actually it was the opposite, there became to many deer.
Many of the changes in the hunting rules I didn't actually agree with but there was nothing I would hang it up over. I know its the old carrot and the stick story but some guys fall into a carrot patch every season and other guys try but still get wacked with the ugly old stick.
One of the thing I find disturbing is how so many of today's HUNTERS are afraid to go more than 200 yards away from their vehicle, even old Dave will try for further than that.
Like with anything else you get out of it what you put into it and if you are a 3 day wonder and only know where to go where you didn't see anything last season how can you be disappointed?
The guys I hunt with have that dedication and encourage novices to give it a try to make sure we always have a good group to hunt with.
Hopefully when I hit 86 I am still going out to "sit a spell" as much as I can.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
Do you feel like an old timer?

I will be 72 this archery season and don't consider myself as an old timer. I scout all year long, run over a dozen T. cams July through Nov., make mock scrapes, cut out for tree stand locations, hang stands, see deer on a regular basis, archery hunt 2 states and hunt alone 95% of the time.

I work out 3 days a week with weights for 70 minutes to keep in shape and I feel great. I must admit there were a few times I slowed down a bit like the triceps reattachments on both arms, the time I fell out of that tree requiring the need for titanium and screws in my leg and ankle however, I did save the cat though..... and oh, there was that time I spent the Summer recuperating from that quadruple bi-pass, but I did get an 8 point that archery season.

I believe the amount of commitment, pictures I see on T. Cam, the bucks I see while scouting keeps my desire high and
working out regularly aids in the number of days I hunt.

My mom always said, "It is in his blood." So I will do my best to hunt as long as I still have blood. I have already ask my younger buddies, if they would take time in the future when I am feeble to assist me to the edge of the yard with my walker and bow then return at dark to help me find my way home.

Looking forward to this archery season.....Hope you have many more at 56 and on and on.....If it help you feel any younger I started hunting in 1953 after following my dad around through the squirrel woods for a year or two.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 02:42 PM

I'm not qualified to answer this question! I'm only 36.96 years old!
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Part of the Community

Been at it every year since 1967....that makes me 62 this season. Don't climb around on the sides like I used to and I like to nap....heck, I always liked to nap.

And....I still wear Woolrich. Have light weight and heavy stuff. LOL
Hungry Horse likes this.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your not going to find any "old timers" that frequent hunting sites.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 04:09 PM

Old age has nothing to do with desire."Do the best you can with what you got" Is my motto.
bob1961 and stinkbait like this.

TENPT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page