DCNR DMAP justification - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Birch812

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

DCNR DMAP justification

I remember some years back, around the late 2000's, reading a pdf the DCNR published with studies, deer counts, and other metrics explaining the amount of DMAP tags allocated to certain areas. I have searched for this since then but haven't found anything. Anyone know what I am talking about? This goes for PGC too, but I strongly feel the data supporting allocations should be publicly available and transparent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 PM

DCNR is about trees, plants, birdies and deer don't fit into the scheme of things so they issue the DMAP tags.
Hickory Run issued 247 tags again this year....I don't think there is 247 deer left in the whole 16,000 acre park anymore.
several years ago there was a deer density goal set out and I think it was something in the low teens deer per Sq mile.
Have not read anything about the desired population in quite some time.
NiceRack! likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
DCNR is about trees, plants, birdies and deer don't fit into the scheme of things so they issue the DMAP tags.
Hickory Run issued 247 tags again this year....I don't think there is 247 deer left in the whole 16,000 acre park anymore.
several years ago there was a deer density goal set out and I think it was something in the low teens deer per Sq mile.
Have not read anything about the desired population in quite some time.
I am fine withe DCNR prioritizing forests. It is their stated mission and I agree with it.

But I know of one DMAP area that gets a few hundred tags and I would estimate the success rate is below 5%.

Another, similar size, comparable deer densities, and significantly with bordering non-DMAP units, receives a 4-digit allocation and a significantly higher success rate/acre due to access and camp density.

Another has significant unfenced cuts, no DMAP nearby, and a rapidly expanding deer population density.

There are inconsistencies there. They need to be able to explain that with data.

It needs to be predictive and not reactive also. If they are conducting experiments that needs to be disclosed. Same goes for justification of deer fences at cuts, and timber sales' existing potential to regerate sufficiently.

Last edited by elk yinzer; 08-15-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:45 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
I remember some years back, around the late 2000's, reading a pdf the DCNR published with studies, deer counts, and other metrics explaining the amount of DMAP tags allocated to certain areas. I have searched for this since then but haven't found anything. Anyone know what I am talking about? This goes for PGC too, but I strongly feel the data supporting allocations should be publicly available and transparent.

I had a hard time learning the difference between SGL and SF. Then learning DCNR is on state forest after timber where game commission is promoting wildlife on game lands.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:06 PM
dce
Sage

In the beginning,DCNR was doing annual browse impact surveys that transected all across each state forest.Each plot was checked annual to see what was growing,what should be growing how the deer were impacting it etc.They do something a little different now but have a pretty good handle on how the deer are impacting the state forests.It doesn't matter how many deer there are.If the habit is poor,you don't add more deer because it only takes a small number to impact poor habitat.I live in district 9 and they haven't fenced a cut in 7 years and took every one of their units out of DMAP around that same time because their browse impact surveys were improving.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
In the beginning,DCNR was doing annual browse impact surveys that transected all across each state forest.Each plot was checked annual to see what was growing,what should be growing how the deer were impacting it etc.They do something a little different now but have a pretty good handle on how the deer are impacting the state forests.It doesn't matter how many deer there are.If the habit is poor,you don't add more deer because it only takes a small number to impact poor habitat.I live in district 9 and they haven't fenced a cut in 7 years and took every one of their units out of DMAP around that same time because their browse impact surveys were improving.
Good info. Yes these trasects are what I read. There were aerial infared surveys as well.

These current surveys need to be public or available via right to know then right?

I am not in the "no deer" crowd by any means. I lean way more toward the habitat side. I spend time in 4 different state forests and I see some pretty significant disparities as I noted above.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 12:19 PM
dce
Sage

I'm sure if talk to any district office,they would be more than happy to disclose that info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page