Ladder Stand Bracing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Ladder Stand Bracing

I recently purchased a Field and Stream Outpost XL that will need no additional bracing, as its a beast of a stand. But I have a Walmart purchased "Big Game" 2 man tree stand that is not exactly the most sturdy stand in the woods. I'm wondering what everyones doing to beef these stands up to make them more secure and more comfortable for the long days in the woods.

Are you welding additional bracing to the ladder itself? Maybe adding a second tree bar in the footrest area? What about an additional tree bar on the ladder area? I'm not sure what helps the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I add a extra ratchet strap where the stand contacts the tree...and at the platform to the tree...but if the platform doesn't make contact with the tree I only snug it.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Sage

Needs something about half way uup, I just used a ratchet strap,,made it sturdy enough..to attach the bar that came with the stand.
Pops423 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Regular Visitor

I also got a Big Game 2 man. The ladder brace was not snug on tree with only rope, so I threw a ratchet strap on there. I also put another ratchet strap 3/4 up along with top strap. Very snug now.
Pops423 and bohunr like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:29 AM

i also try to find two trees close enough together when i place my ladder stands. that way i can put the ladder section against the trunk of the other tree and strap it to that tree as well, solid as a rock.

even though its a ladder stand, remember your safety belt.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Last edited by bohunr; 08-09-2017 at 10:00 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 AM

We get an extra long wratchet strap and go right around the tree and back to the stand just above the brace,
Drives the brace into the tree and makes a solid point for stability.
bohunr likes this.

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 12:02 PM

I've not tried it but I've seen a lot of guys are criss crossing the straps behind the tree. Start 2 straps running from the base of the platform down to the brace or lower on the ladder.

Similar to this from Rivers edge : https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...02380887517353
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
I've not tried it but I've seen a lot of guys are criss crossing the straps behind the tree. Start 2 straps running from the base of the platform down to the brace or lower on the ladder.

Similar to this from Rivers edge : https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...02380887517353
These straps are to provide stability when you first set the stand before you climb it to install the ratchet strap. Should use a safety line, harness and prussic knot when setting and climbing

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 03:29 PM
The Man

All I've ever done is add an extra ratchet strap to the base of the seat area. That usually tightens things up quite a bit. Those stand don't last forever though. If you want extra braces, save your old ones as you get rid of stands and use those if they are fit. There are probably even people on here who have some extras if you'd ask around.
That said, there are ladder stands and there are ladder stands. I stay away from all of those $50 - $60 ones because they are usually the flimsy ones that aren't as well made. There are some really well built ladder stands out there. Go to places that have them set up on display and really look them over. Buy the heavier and better built ones if you really want steady and sturdy.
I forget the name of it, but I have two 16' stands from Dicks that are the sturdiest stands of all the ones I have. I feel like I could dance on them and be perfectly safe. As I replace what I have, they are the ones I will buy. There is also a stand in Sportsmens Warehouse that is 21" tall. I have two of those and they are very sturdy also and they come with two braces. They are difficult to put up by yourself, but when they are cinched in, they are very sturdy.
Good luck.

PS- I got to thinking about it and I'm pretty sure in those Sportsmens Warehouse flyers they have just those extra braces that you can buy. If it's not in the flyers then check online. I know I've seen them in there.

Last edited by kudu58; 08-09-2017 at 03:59 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 03:44 PM

Not that I would recommend it due to tree damage, but when I was younger and hunting on my own land, I would screw a big old lag bolt into the tree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page