I wonder.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Danesdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Westmoreland county PA
Posts: 20,173
Back To Top
I wonder....

There are shallow gas wells throughout the area where I live. Most of them have a brine tank as their largest feature. Most of these have small natural containment dykes built around them, presumably to catch the salt water should the tank fail. I've noticed that some to these tanks leak slightly, and when they do, deer are drawn to the ground around them. I placed a game camera near one and it proved my theory was correct...I got hundreds of pictures. Question: Is it legal to hunt over these wells?

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Danesdad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 03:51 PM
The Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Endless Mountains
Posts: 5,023
Back To Top
Wow, now that is a great and interesting question. I would hunt it, then if approached fight it till the end of the world. A lot of wardens can't give answers to some commonly asked questions, this one would be a real stumper!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
25ftup is online now  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24,632
Back To Top
Sure you can if you have permission to be on the property and hunt.


8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue. Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices.
John Schweigart likes this.

wmu 3A
timberdoodle is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Sage
 
Danesdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Westmoreland county PA
Posts: 20,173
Back To Top
Well, I have permission to be there. But there cant be any other reason why the deer congregate there. I noticed a lot of tracks in the mud around the brine tank. More than there should be based on random travel. I put my most reliable camera on it on July 4. I pulled it today because, for the first time since I've had this camera, the batteries died. I had like, 875 pictures. And unlike most locations where I get 20 raccoon pictures for every deer, almost every shot had deer in it. So, I'm sure some of that brine is leaking or vented into this ditch around the tank and the deer are taking advantage of the salt left in the mud. But that just seemed like it could be considered baiting. Timberdoodles post cleared it up. Perhaps I could have looked that up if I'd gotten a digest with my license.

Just came back up from walking the dog down there. I was looking around pondering where to put a stand.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Danesdad is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 10:20 PM
The Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Md.
Posts: 5,781
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle View Post
Sure you can if you have permission to be on the property and hunt.


8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue. Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices.
So if I decide to run a few livestock animals on my property , example: 2 pigs, 2 goats, few chickens and of course they have to be fed and a good chance of wild critters coming in. I would be legal to hunt there?
outofstater is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 06:06 AM
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24,632
Back To Top
fine with me

wmu 3A
timberdoodle is online now  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 10:13 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Elk County
Posts: 13,483
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater View Post
So if I decide to run a few livestock animals on my property , example: 2 pigs, 2 goats, few chickens and of course they have to be fed and a good chance of wild critters coming in. I would be legal to hunt there?
As long as it falls within the realm of normal and accepted farming practices you should be fine. But those words normal and accepted are in there for a reason. There have been people charged and successfully prosecuted when what they were doing did not fall within what the Department of Agriculture defined as normal and accepted farming practices and were instead just an attempt to circumvent the law.

Dick Bodenhorn
R. S. B. is online now  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: sc pa and sometimes nc pa
Posts: 495
Back To Top
I am sure the gas company would not like you hunting or shooting in close proximity to their equipment.
Likely they lease the land the structures are on and that gives them rights to deny access, fact is most are posted for trespass.
This is one of those judgement calls that separate adults from children. Hunting ethics and all that.
Grouse28 is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 10:38 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,914
Back To Top
Not sure that I would want to eat a deer that had been drinking or licking that nasty stuff.
Marcus99 is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: West Hempfield, PA
Posts: 3,461
Back To Top
..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse28 View Post
I am sure the gas company would not like you hunting or shooting in close proximity to their equipment.
Likely they lease the land the structures are on and that gives them rights to deny access, fact is most are posted for trespass.
This is one of those judgement calls that separate adults from children. Hunting ethics and all that.
Talk about a leap of logic.

I'm sure archery hunting around these will be no problem. If he has permission from the landowner to be there and it isn't posted otherwise, have at it. Hunting ethics? Come on man...

Suburban redneck.
justgrad25 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome