Africa Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Africa Question

I was at a hunting banquet over the weekend where several hunts were auctioned off. One was a hunt for 4 (2 hunters and 2 observers) in South Africa. The value of the trip was $28,000. The hunt went for $9000. It was donated so it was still a big money raiser.

My question is, how much more would you have to chip in of your own money? Flights, getting your animals home, incidentals, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Part of the Community

Trophy fees and dip and crate your animals will be a big expense. Of course airfare and overnights in places.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:52 PM
The Man

How many days was that for and what were the animals that were included? Even if that included airfare, for only 2 hunters, that seems kinda steep at $28,000. Peak season airfare will be $2,000 to $2,200 depending on the year. That's a max of $8,800 if it was peak flying time, which the vast majority of those donated hunts occur in off-peak times so the airfare would be much less than that. Still, $19,200 for the balance seems high, again depending on the animals and number of days.

Without knowing what is included in that package, it would be difficult to accurately answer the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

The value of the hunt would have been 28K if the hunters bought it outright. They got the same hunt for 9K. Either way, the hunters are responsible for airfare and getting their animals home.

They aren't responsible for paying the balance of the 28k. They got all that covered. I'm just wondering what the additional costs of an Africa hunt are after the outfitter is paid in full.

I forget what animals were involved, but it was a generous list. Dangerous game was extra. But a lot of plains game. Let's say you shot 7 animals, with the biggest being a greater kudu.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

They covered ground transportation to and from Johannesburg, lodging, meals and skinning/caping.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Rarely would an auction hunt cover airfare since they have no way of knowing from where you would be coming from and any additional stops you may want to make or even the dates. The dates are usually negotiated later. Flying from major hubs are substantially cheaper and I think much better. Usually when luggage is lost it is on that 1st little flight. Better to get to a major hub early and get your gun and luggage on the big plane. Go to a site like Travelocity for specific prices. I did a search from JFK which is where I usually go out, in October for 2 weeks from JFK - JBN Johannesburg there are several US and international airlines offering $800-$1000 roundtrip flights.

The animal trophy fees may be handled a few ways, need to read the terms, could be a specific list of animals each hunter can take, could be a longer list that is shared between the hunters, could be a specific list for a few animals and the rest shared (like 2 wildebeest, 2 impala, 2 warthog for each and others are shared between the 2 hunters), or sometimes it is a dollar value. Like includes $5000 in trophy fees for each hunter to use anyway they want from the list of animals. Any animals outside the previous would be on a trophy fee basis, the range is VERY extensive, warthogs and impala type animals can be just a few hundred to many 1000's for things like sable. Additional trophy fees are how they hope to recoup their donation.

Dipping and packing is the process to prepare your trophies for international shipping, different from skinning and caping. This is sterilizing and drying your trophies according to specified standards and paperwork by a certified professional as to what genus species they are. D&P will vary somewhat by species category but lets roughly say an average of $150/plain games animal.

Shipping will depend on number, size, and type of shipping (air or sea). But I'd say a safari of this size would start at over $1000 for a sea shipment. Air freight is really expensive. I air shipped 2 sets of water buffalo horns from Australia, about 25lbs nestled in a box that easily fit under 1 arm. Shipping was $750 and about $300 to clear them.

You would have a customs broker clear your items for you via Power of Attorney. Unless you were near the port of entry and knew your way around the agencies yourself. I have done it. You need 3 clearances, USFWS to check the paperwork and possibly the trophies themselves to be sure they are not endangered or CITES or on a prohibited list. USDA to check if they fall into a potential infectious category that needs additional treatment, if so, it can only be released to a certified USDA taxidermists for treatment. The animal list is always being updated, what needs clearance now may not next year. There are lists of certified taxi's on the USDA site and the taxi usually specifies USDA certified in their advertising. You pay the extra cost, maybe $150 per animal. Customs is the 3rd clearance and they are mainly the watchdog to make sure both USFWS and USDA has their stamp on things. To do it yourself you have to take it to all 3 places or for example if nothing is on the USDA list you may be able to make an appointment for USFWS to meet you at Customs. Brokers fees start at about $400 and add about $100/animal. In your name they will take the trophies each place for approval and then ship them to you. You pay the shipping, UPS or whatever, they will bill you. For brokers I have used Coppersmith, and Fauna and Flora. Both are very well known, Coppersmith will help you with the entire hunt, visa, gun permit, air arrangements (they are also a travel agent), trophy shipment.

Most ranches have a Daily rate, of course this varies on size of ranch, accommodations, species list, and their name. But an average might be $400/day/hunter and $200/day/observer. 2 hunters 2 observers is $1200/day, a 10 day hunt would normally be $12000 in daily fees plus trophy fees plus dipping and packing. I don't know how many days this hunt is.

Some auction packages include transfer from airport to field, others do not. This can range from a few hundred to a few thousand if it requires a bush flight. This one includes it. But rarely do they include lodging outside of the ranch, they may arrange it but you pay the cost. Usually these are upscale places and can be $100-200/night.

Then there is tipping, VERY variable and arguable but most put it at around 10% of the hunt cost. You decide whether that is just daily fees or add trophy fees in too.
Just previewed this and can't believe I typed that much.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the response. I do know that it was 1:45 hr from airport to their establishment. They said that when describing the hunt. I think it was all ground, no bush plane.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 AM

I don't like to fly, i'd just drive.......

Pence/Putin 2024
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Drive to Africa? Did they build that bridge yet?

The best bargain I saw was a New Foundland bear hunt that went for $500. I shoulda got in on that. I think the value was $2000. Oh well, I'll just have to shoot a PA bear.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post
Drive to Africa? Did they build that bridge yet?
Last time we went the bridge was almost done, should be open by now.....

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page