is this possible? doe in heat - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

is this possible? doe in heat

i had the owner of the farm i hunt call me today. he saw 15 deer out back in the field. one still had a huge rack that he said has 12 points.

and it was trying to mount a doe and kept dogging her like she was in heat ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 AM

Yes I believe it is possible. Would be an August birth. One of those spotted fawns in the fall. They look like fuzzy through the winter. That buck has a lot of testosterone.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:14 AM

Mature- not necessarily old, Does come in until bred some as late as march. Chances are in a normally cold winter the doe that gets bred late naturally aborts when lack of food sources stress her abilities to provide nutrients needed for a fawn. With this past winter however, theres a good possibility she'll have a normal birth. I've seen a roadkilled fawn here in the SW outside of Greensburg pa. in mid Feburary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:57 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well, I got some funny business on my trail cam at the end of Feb.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I posted this in another thread, but my buddy sent me a text this morning saying that he saw a buck still holding both sides while going to work.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've seen some fawn lately that looks like they were born 6-7 months ago. In fact, I see this every year. I live in an area with a very high doe population. Every year, there is a wide range in the age of the fawns and when they were born.

As far as still holding racks, not all that uncommon now. Latest I've seen is second week of April in Pa.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

come to think of it, i saw a doe with 3 small looking deer with her the other day. i bet they were born about 6 months ago too. this is certainly strange, at least to me.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 AM
The Man

I gotta believe that a buck will take care of business anytime the opportunity presents itself. Here are some trail cam pics from Feb 26, 2017.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MFDC0004.jpg (1.15 MB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg MFDC0005.jpg (1.13 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg MFDC0006.jpg (1.14 MB, 34 views)

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:09 PM

Bucks will breed does whenever the doe is in estrus.

Now that we have more bucks alive at the end of the deer season many of those juvenile does that are coming into estrus for the first time are getting bred. That isn’t a bad thing though because prior to antler restrictions, keeping more bucks alive to get the does not yet bred covered after deer season, most of those juvenile does and even some of the adult does weren’t getting bred at all.

It does put some late born fawns on the ground but when you factor in that are fawns that wouldn’t have existed before it can be a positive even if the majority of the late fawns doesn’t survive.

Before antler restrictions about 20% of the adult does I checked hadn’t been bred at all. I also checked a number of adult does that weren’t getting bred until December and January with one even being as late as February 23rd. A lot of adult does either weren’t getting bred at all or bred late. Now almost all of the adult does are bred and bred in less than a two month time period. Now it seems we are also getting more of the juvenile does bred than we once were. Some are bred late but in my opinion that is better than not getting bred at all, due to not enough bucks let to get the job done. But, the real benefit of antler restrictions and having more bucks after the season isn’t about getting does bred late and is instead all about having enough bucks left to get the majority of the does bred during their first estrus cycle next fall.

Dick Bodenhorn
bohunr, Dogface and JetMaxx like this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:45 PM

I saw a big group last nite with 5 antlered bucks. A button buck tried to mount a doe fawn several times and he wasn't taking no for an answer.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page