Early Muzzy Buck, Maybe Not! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 228 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Early Muzzy Buck, Maybe Not!

I never caught the initial read but understanding PGC might be looking at a buck chance for early muzzy. I read an interesting article this morning in my local newspaper in Cumberland Maryland outdoor section about our low deer kill and input. For those who don't know Md. has an early muzzy season in mid Oct. normally around when Pa. has there weeklong muzzy antlerless season . It goes 3 days Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of which you have choice of buck or doe. Md. also has a late season post rifle season for around 2 weeks and its also buck or doe. How they work is you purchase a muzzy stamp if you take a buck in early season you can only take a doe in late, then doe in early and buck in late = 2 deer 1 of each sex. Many years this season has been hot to go out and harvest a buck in mid Oct. with descent temps., etc. I have seen many Pa. guys coming down enjoying the hunt since the opportunity was here of taking an early buck and still able to harvest a buck with a bow and then with a rifle of which would = 3 bucks on regular license. For some time I have been throwing this up in comparing states with the new proposal of license increase of saying they are not comparing apples to oranges. Pa. early muzzy season you need to purchase a muzzy stamp and then additional doe license to go out hunting and not have the opportunity of taking a buck as other states do. After reading a few comments here and my newspaper this morning I hate to bite my words but hope Pa. does not allow this to happen. Here in my county of Md. deer numbers have dwindled down for sometime and hunters really have been ticked off of not seeing deer. One article a hunter wrote and was published a very interesting article. I happen to know this guy and he lives in the woods so I take his comments seriously. He stated our early muzzy season is hurting our numbers real bad. A guy started hunting here in our archery season in mid sept. watches this particular buck for some time at 50 yards or so out of bow reach. Then comes our early muzzy season and out to 100-125 yards this buck now bites the dust. Our numbers last few years are going down and if these bucks continue to get whacked before the breading season there goes our future. I know ill get this wrong since I tossed my paper but ill be close, our county took like 1600 bucks and 1400 hundred does. Never have we took more bucks then does just don't happen that way. I read where RSB made a good comment from his experience of breading that this hunt would not be good. Ill have to change my opinion now that I don't think Pa. needs this opportunity for the big picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 228 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:23 PM
The Man

If PA is going to cling to ARs ...that they didn't need to establish in the first place (HR) , there is no way that a ML opportunity in October will upset the breeding ecology. Especially one that raises the AR bar, and/or has a tag limit.
post #3 of 228 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:16 PM

A limited draw is the solution if we ever allow bucks to be taken in the early muzzleloader season.
GobbleBuck and elk yinzer like this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 228 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I just know my Md. county has went down hill. It should be well thought out.
post #5 of 228 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

It has to be a limited draw.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #6 of 228 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I would agree , and different numbers for different units I hope.
post #7 of 228 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 PM

I don't count anything out with the PGC all they see is the $$$$ they can make
post #8 of 228 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:49 PM

In this state, with the amount of deer we have, theres no reason to have a draw. Theres far less turkeys and far less bears but we have no draw for either of those.
buckloaf likes this.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #9 of 228 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog View Post
In this state, with the amount of deer we have, theres no reason to have a draw. Theres far less turkeys and far less bears but we have no draw for either of those.
There is noway this states deer population could take two buck seasons an archery and a late ml.
There is nowhere near the number of hunters out in rather of the seasons u mentioned, keep drinking the kool-aid
post #10 of 228 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:45 PM

AR's protect us from overharvesting bucks. As long as we are a 1 buck state, theres no reason for a draw for bucks with any weapon.

We have a 2 week any weapon season now, and we don't overharvest bucks. Some early muzzy hunters wouldn't change that.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page